Our mission

Evolutions of a 3.5 gallons starfire

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=3158.msg35356#msg35356 date=1204097697]
LOL. Understood. I'll find some sort of screening for it when I do. :)
[/quote]Carefull with screens! I knew of someone that used the common metalized screen. Part of it dipped into their tank and nuked the whole thing. Nylon Shadecloth would be safest IMO.

True that. Always use the plastic version of anything. Distrust even SS :D

Couple of new additions from ATL a couple of weekends ago.

Split this beauty with Daniel (kurplunk). Came w/the acro eating crab, but the sucker doesn't tend to stay put; wanders throughout the tank until night time when it comes back to roost.
ATL_hulklike_022708.jpg

No idea what the heck this is. It was kind of cool, looking kind of like a bonsai on the live rock that they had it on, with a ring of unknown palys at the base. Ming cut me the top part of it which I've glued down. Anyone have an idea what it is?
unknown_soft_022708.jpg

Reactor. From concept.
fluid_reactor.jpg

to reality
fluid_reactor01.jpg

fluid_reactor02.jpg

fluid_reactor03.jpg

fluid_reactor04.jpg

ended up at 5.25" tall with one compartment instead of two due to the max height limitations.

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=3158.msg35490#msg35490 date=1204178507]
Couple of new additions from ATL a couple of weekends ago.

Split this beauty with Daniel (kurplunk). Came w/the acro eating crab, but the sucker doesn't tend to stay put; wanders throughout the tank until night time when it comes back to roost.
ATL_hulklike_022708.jpg

No idea what the heck this is. It was kind of cool, looking kind of like a bonsai on the live rock that they had it on, with a ring of unknown palys at the base. Ming cut me the top part of it which I've glued down. Anyone have an idea what it is?
unknown_soft_022708.jpg

[/quote]Nice looks like an Acro horridia, I love 'em, that one looks very incredible hulk-esque. The other things look like Hydroids, be careful as they can have a potent sting.

Nice job on the reactor, three grains of carbon, four grains of GFO and you're set.

You're right on both accounts, Jeremy. Thanks for the confirmation.

The horrida seems to be a pretty quick grower to boot, so it might see the lines of the DBTC in the near future. Same with the hydroid (confirmed by the folks over at wetwebmedia).

Seven grains total eh...and here I was considering about buying pounds of carbon/GFO. How much should I really start with? 1/32 tsp or literally a pinch?

Yeah those horridias are quick growers, I have ATL Lavender Kiwi, I'll be going Xtreme on that one soon. I got it in December, and it's sprouted several branches, and grown almost an inch overall. I was at Atlantis a while back, and Mark (marko9), and Ming were both in agreement that horridias do very well, grow like crazy then RTN for no apparent reason. If you catch them in the act of RTNing and frag them the frags do fine.

I'd say go by weight on the GFO, do like 2 grams, then add another 2 grams a few days later. If you don't have a good scale around, LMK and I'll weigh it out and give you the volume measurement.

Sure does. The horrida is probably one of the quickest grower at the moment. I'll definitely keep my eye out on this one if it does start RTN'ing.

Thanks for the weight info. I have a digital scale that does grams in 0.01 increments if needed, so not too worried about that. So I'm looking at around 4 grams as a final point I take it or just keep on adding 2 grams every few days to see? I just gotta source out some GFO/carbon.

You want around a gram a gallon, so whatever volume you think your tank is, and there you go. If you're going to the BOD meeting, I'll bring you some TLF Phosban if you'd like.

Yeah, it can pull pretty well. :)

Didn't think I would add anything else to the tank, but something caught my eye.

Some sort of favia I think.
ATL_favia_031108.jpg

came along with this piece.
tyree_soli_031108.jpg

Nope, no shot of that tort of your's, Mike. It's in the back of the tank right now hidden by the unknown thin branch acro.

It's sized pretty well in the tank. There's like 8 other acros that are larger than it, but none with the same coloration (beige base w/blue tips). Next time you see a picture of it will be in another tank. :)

Back