High Tide Aquatics

FAQ: Quick and easy way to get a decent photo of your tank

kinetic

Supporting Member
Problem: "Pictures of my tank I've taken suck!"
Answer: Let's cut to the chase and just give you a few tips to near guarantee a good photo of your tank... though we can't get rid of hair algae and aiptasia without a course on nutrient export and crazy photoshop.

For a Full Tank Shot:
1. Get a tripod - these are pretty cheap at walmart / kmart, them being not more than $20 and will last you a good amount of time.2
2. Lighting - make sure your tank is lit as much as possible, meaning take a photo when all your timers have your lights on full blast. Ambient room lights will work well too. DON'T USE FLASH.
3. Focus - Sometimes it's hard to focus on your tank, so first put a piece of white paper next to a piece of black paper, right against the surface of your tank, and pre-focus on that, maybe even take a test picture. Then turn off auto focus. The focus now should be preserved. for the front of your tank. For individual items in your tank, if you can manage to manually focus, that would work best.
4. Viewfinder - Remember that your LCD can only show you a "preview" of what the shot might look like, but it's never as true as the viewfinder. All cameras have this, regardless if it's a point and shoot or a slr. Look through the viewfinder for the truest preview of what your shot will look like.

Those are the basics. Any other questions or problems you have post here. Every camera is different, so they will need a bit of tweaking depending. But given the above, you should be able to take fairly good photos (clear ones) of your tank.

Hey Art, All this info is really good. I am trying to learn to take better pics and have been messing around with my Nikon 7600 coolpix. The problem is everything seems to come out much greener than it is and i cant get any of the true blue colors to come out. Thanks for your help and great job on this fourum!

Jeff

I'll definitely add a "color correction" FAQ soon to help out with these sorts of problems. The thing is, there are so many different ways, and honestly I probably don't know the best way for all cameras =/

It'll need to be collaborative.

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=1859.msg23562#msg23562 date=1187766931]
I'll definitely add a "color correction" FAQ soon to help out with these sorts of problems. The thing is, there are so many different ways, and honestly I probably don't know the best way for all cameras =/

It'll need to be collaborative.
[/quote]

maybe just short color correction tutorial for Photoshop is enough.
like this one for example: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/tutorials/tutorial_3_1.htm

Back