Reef nutrition

FAQ: Which SLR should I get?

kinetic

Supporting Member
The answer? You will never know until you actually use one. Whatever people tell you, will you really understand?

Today's Digital SLR's are so advanced, even the lowest end ones are incredibly powerful. They all produce great images, and the more expensive ones have a few features that are hard to understand, until you actually get into that situation. And without a camera, it's not often you think about taking pictures in those difficult situations.

My advice is to get a nice starter SLR, Nikon or Canons are safe bets, though the contenders like Sony are also very good. See what your friends have, and go with that brand. In the long run you can get immediately help by a Nikon friend if you have a Nikon, etc. You can also share and test out each other's gear =)

Nikon vs. Canon vs. Sony vs. Olympus is moot. They all have benefits and drawbacks, but they're all small nitpicks. Be confident in getting a starter SLR with the thought that no matter what you do, you're probably going to want to upgrade. Don't worry about getting THE BEST and perfect one now. And the worst thing that could happen? You're completely happy with it for many many years and never need to upgrade (that's not a trait a reefer usually has though).

So see what people around you have (in BAR's case, I think it's Nikon?), and go for it. You'll learn what you want in a camera by using it.

Back