High Tide Aquatics

FATTTTT scratches on my acrylic tank...

Sounds awesome ian. My tank has a fair bit of internal scratching so it is good to hear that you did this successfully in a filled tank

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4483.msg54718#msg54718 date=1220915322]
1 hand in the tank rubbing out the scratch. The other hand with a beer in it. It helps.
[/quote]

I prefer one of these (with beer of course) ;)

drinkbeerhat.jpg

[quote author=iani link=topic=4483.msg54702#msg54702 date=1220898461]
After setting up my tank yesterday I had a 2" scratch on the front of my acrylic. It took all for a few minutes to buff out with this kit.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=RB1551&utm_source=mdcse_google_base&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=RB1531&utm_content=Rainbow%20Lifegard%20Fixed%20Scrubber%20On%20Molded%20Handle&utm_campaign=mdcse&site=google_base

It works really well for me. And you can do it all under water (except the final polish which you don't need).
[/quote]

sweeet thanks!!! :D

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4483.msg54720#msg54720 date=1220916897]
[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4483.msg54718#msg54718 date=1220915322]
1 hand in the tank rubbing out the scratch. The other hand with a beer in it. It helps.
[/quote]

I prefer one of these (with beer of course) ;)

drinkbeerhat.jpg

[/quote]....damn i wish i liked beer. hahaha!!!!!!! blech!! lol

After setting up my tank yesterday I had a 2" scratch on the front of my acrylic. It took all for a few minutes to buff out with this kit.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=RB1551&utm_source=mdcse_google_base&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=RB1531&utm_content=Rainbow%20Lifegard%20Fixed%20Scrubber%20On%20Molded%20Handle&utm_campaign=mdcse&site=google_base

It works really well for me. And you can do it all under water (except the final polish which you don't need).
[/quote]

I have this same kit, did you just use the the sandpaper by hand or did you use a magfloat or something.

I have a lot of scratches on my acrlic none are very large and most are only noticable when you are like less thena foot away so I am assuming there are removable.

[quote author=Roc link=topic=4483.msg72302#msg72302 date=1230856565]

[/quote]

I have this same kit, did you just use the the sandpaper by hand or did you use a magfloat or something.

I have a lot of scratches on my acrlic none are very large and most are only noticable when you are like less thena foot away so I am assuming there are removable.
[/quote]

The review on that link mentions some helpfull tips. Deep scratches, he used 600 wet sand paper, then go through the diff ones in the kit.
I think the Mag glass cleaner idea on the review is also a excelent idea.

Wet sanding is deff tiresome. I actually sanded an entire 1932 Ford Hiboy street rod with 1500 grit once!!
Id swear Wet newspaper cuts more than 1500...lol
But MAN the lacquer paint is soooo shiny when you do that, like a mirror

I think I might a few of those kits somewhere at the shop. I usually just go to TAp Plastics and buy a bunch of Sandpaper and start Wet Sanding. Actually Chris usually takes care of the buffing let me know if you need help

sweet. thanks Max. i might do that, after things slow back down in my life. the boyfriends dad passed away. im in oregon right now. funeral is today. ughhhh

Well since I had to drain the tank cuz of a leek, now I have the chance to clean all the scratches, can someone tell me the fastest, best way to do this (step by step if you have the time). I'm thinking of trying to clean scratches tomorrow and refill on Sunday

Hey Seamus see if you can see this link. My friend wrote this tutorial on scratch removal. This is absolutely the fastest way to buff out an empty tank..

http://forums.waterwolves.com/acrylic-buffing-101-t110079.html

I've buffed out huge gouges in tanks.. You can still feel the gouge with your finger but its clear.. If you tried to look through it you'd get a bit of distortion. But from 2 feet away it appears clear again...

I use sand paper, don't have a buffer myself, a little bit of hard work, going through the grits, 400 (for deep scratches ahem... Doug), then all the way to I think 2500 grit I used, then finished it up with a novus 3-2 punch.

I did have a scratch kit that had all the way down to 15000 grit I think, which is a good thing to use on a full tank since that'll get that the last bit of haze away and you can't exactly use novus inside the tank.

Why can't you use novus inside the tank, the guys at Tru-vu said it would be fine and that link is using it?

The tank is empty right now

Back