[Feb 7, 2015] Fragging Workshop, Gear Swap, and Giveaway (Hayward, CA) Post-mortem

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by denzil, Feb 9, 2015.

1. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Thanks to everyone who were able to attend our first event of the year! Also, thank you to everyone who contributed to making this a successful event.

With our first event in the books, we'd like to reflect on the event itself and solicit everyone's feedback on what went well and what improvements could be made. Here's your chance to make our meetings better! :)

2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

More colonies to frag, start at 1 pm. If we are going to do a gear swap we shoukd join together w other clubs and make it big, and somehow attract people who will buy stuff.

3. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

This was a great event that went well overall. I appreciated the setup of the space (open enough to mill around for socializing, but a good demonstration area and seating). I like the loose format of the meeting and the time to talk shop with folks as well as the main event.

The 11am start time was difficult for me, since it's an hour or so drive from the southbay.

The gear swap was a good idea, but didn't seem to catch much or any interest.

4. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Supporting Member

I thought the demo was great, but a variety of fragging techniques would have been nice. A lot of us don't own band saws, so that wouldn't really help me learn how to frag. The fragging demo Rich Ross did a few years back was a bit more diverse. He used the saw on some things, bone cutters, a hammer to break up rocks of zoas, etc. He also showed how to glue different types of corals to plugs or rubble rock.

Enderturtle likes this.
  5. Nav

Nav Director of Marketing & Photography

Agreed with Felicia on variety of fragging techniques & I also understand we didn't have pieces to demo on.

11am was better for me since I had the rest of my day to do other things, 1pm is in the middle of day but is still workable.

This might be too fancy and not applicable for a small group... a slideshow of all different techniques, where they apply, tools, tips & tricks, safety, iodine dips, glueing, etc. would be nice ;)

Geneva likes this.
  6. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

Though it didn't seem anyone this year was interested in hearing about my favorite techniques in fragging coral colonies, perhaps next year?
    I don't mind demonstrating next time

[​IMG]

Clearly I draw inspiration from greatness :p

7. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Great feedback thus far... let's keep it coming.

8. tygunn

tygunn Webmaster

Overall went pretty well. Agree some other fragging techniques would be nice to see as well. However still valuable. Really glad I never got the urge to use a wood bandsaw for this!! Haha

9. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Me and my saw can travel If people need help getting ready forthe swap...

10. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

Mike, such a gentleman :)

11. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Takes one to know one

HiFidelity likes this.
  12. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

please come by and take a bucket load to the swap for me :)

13. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

It was great! Members are nice people! Slideshow is a cool idea, too, showing things like where to cut corals with different growth patterns. Even if all of the corals are not there to frag, pictures could be useful and interesting. If no one has that already prepared I bet there are plenty of PowerPts online.
    11am was great so I still had a chunk of day to do other things.
    I really like how you told people to frag well in advance of the swap so they are healed.
    I enjoyed talking with various people and hearing about their tanks. Lots of experience and interest.
    Thanks to everyone who worked to organize it, brought corals and set up equipment.

Geneva and denzil like this.