Kessil

Feeding brine shrimp to growing Pocillopora causes explosive growth

neuro

Webmaster
Reactions: Nav
I used to feed frozen cyclopeeze to my 140g. . I would gently baste the corals with it..

I found a few of my acros would actively grab some and you could see a few polyps closing up around the food. . The galaxea went nuts for it.

The frogspawn and hammers both loved it too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I can deal with the hermits but my cleaner shrimp gets me on my nerves!!! I almost want to cage him before I feed ;)

I can deal with the hermits but my cleaner shrimp gets me on my nerves!!! I almost want to cage him before I feed ;)

Haha yeah had that problem too. If he came over to a coral I was targeting I'd just give him a little shot of food from the baster, which would typically distract him enough so that the coral could get a start on its meal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nav
I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that read that article and had that same question.

yeah they used a certain measurement, and i'm guessing it's based on the number of brine shrimp based on whatever packaging they came in. if they elaborated, then i totally glossed over/missed it.

yeah they used a certain measurement, and i'm guessing it's based on the number of brine shrimp based on whatever packaging they came in. if they elaborated, then i totally glossed over/missed it.

They said they were nauplii, so I assumed these were freshly hatched live baby brine shrimp. Again, they certainly did not dwell on the specifics for us...

The amount is in the PLOS One article you posted under their methods. They measured it by a density of nauplii per liter.
"The plugs were randomly assigned among 16 holding tanks, each tank corresponding to one of the four feeding densities (0, 600, 1800 and 3600 nauplii/L following Petersen et al. (2008); n = 4 tanks)."

The amount is in the PLOS One article you posted under their methods. They measured it by a density of nauplii per liter.
"The plugs were randomly assigned among 16 holding tanks, each tank corresponding to one of the four feeding densities (0, 600, 1800 and 3600 nauplii/L following Petersen et al. (2008); n = 4 tanks)."

I understood that part, but what I don't get is how did they measure the density. It doesn't translate easily to someone who wants to repro the experiment, or am I wrong? Did they guestimate? And if you guestimate, what is the expected error? I'm sure they didn't sit down and count.. or did they?

I understood that part, but what I don't get is how did they measure the density. It doesn't translate easily to someone who wants to repro the experiment, or am I wrong? Did they guestimate? And if you guestimate, what is the expected error? I'm sure they didn't sit down and count.. or did they?
Ah, ok. That makes sense. Yeah, not sure how you would measure that. You might have to go check the Petersen et. al paper they reference. That may clarify how they measured the density.

Measuring zooplankton density is rather easy, especially with items such as Artemia. Simply take a sample of the culture, count, multiply with total volume. There is technology for counting, but I suspect they simply counted by eyesight alone on a given sample volume.

We employee both techniques, but mainly via samples and scopes.

Back