Kessil

Feeding LPS and Zoas

patchin

Supporting Member
I only have 3 fish in my 50 gallon, but I have a heck of a time feeding corals without the fish stealing it. How do you all feed your corals and what do you use?

feed your fish and the turn pumps off and spot feed your corals, some oyster feast and rotifers for SPS and brine shirmp, rinsed mysis shrimp and arctipods/tigger pods for LPS thats what I do.

mediumrare said:
feed your fish and the turn pumps off and spot feed your corals, some oyster feast and rotifers for SPS and brine shirmp, rinsed mysis shrimp and arctipods/tigger pods for LPS thats what I do.
I would do the same except that I use Oyster Feast for all the corals

Have you ever tried "Rods food?" I mix it in with the normal fish food twice a week and spot feed the coral. It has larger stuff for the fish, but lots of small stuff for the coral and they LOVE it. Ed (Kmaintl) turned me onto it, and I'm glad he did. Good stuff.

I stopped feeding my corals with anything but light. I feed my fish flakes too, and I guess some flake particles sometimes make it to the corals.

V

tankguy said:
mediumrare said:

I like to give my larger SPS (open brains, trumpet corals, acans, blastos, micros, and NPS corals) larger more meaty food, i find that they grow faster when fed mysis shrimp twice a week dirrectly to as many heads as i can.

I feed my corals these...http://fl2.shopmania.org/files/p/us/t/435/super-soft-small-krill-pellets-2-5-kg-5-5-lbs-hbh~69202435.jpg

for the LPS I just drop them in their mouths or tentacles. For the Z's and P's I mush it up mix in a slurry of saltwater and squirt on them while pumps are off. Before I feed any corals I feed all the fish first and make sure they're all done eating.

I now also use Oyster feast and other micro foods for the NPS gorgs.

mediumrare said:
tankguy said:
mediumrare said:

I like to give my larger LPS (open brains, trumpet corals, acans, blastos, micros, and NPS corals) larger more meaty food, i find that they grow faster when fed mysis shrimp twice a week dirrectly to as many heads as i can.

Fixed you post for you, none of those are S
PS :)

Patchin...

Feed below the spectrum of your fish.... Oyster-Feast and Roti-Feast are perfect for that purpose. Drives fish nuts not being able to find that oyster they taste and smell though :lol:

For larger LPS like open brain I put strawberry basket upside down over it with rrock on top until it was done eating. Keeps shrimp out too....

-Gregory

Back