Neptune Aquatics

Feeding mixed carnivore/herbivore fish together?

How are you guys feeding your fish if some are carnivores and some are herbivores?

General flake? Spirulina flakes? Seaweed?

I've tried clipping seaweed in the tank and nobody eats it. I toss defrosted mysis in there, everyone eats it, even the tangs. Flakes and pellets seem to be a mix of meat and plant foods.

I'm going to guess that while carnivores are OK eating plant material, herbivores really should eat vegetable matter more than meat.

They all seem to eat whatever they can. There is not enough algae on the rocks to support even one tang I think.

V

Try tying nori to a rock with a rubberband...more natural than a seaweed clip. Rod's food (original blend) should meet both your carnivore/herbivore fish needs.

I do a bit of everything.

+1 on rubber-band and seaweed.
Interestingly, that worked for me as training.
A week of that, and suddenly they simply started eating off the clip.
Placing clip near side / rocks also helps. Not right in the open middle.

I also use flakes in the auto feeder during the day.
Ehiem has a dual feeder that works well. One side veggie, other side carnivore.
Although all fish eat both.

Erin's special blend is good. I have used it. But I don't see him often enough.

'Somewhere' I read that herbivores get most of their nutrition from the meaty beasties that live in the algae. The algae is important for digestion and provides part of the nutrition too, but is not all they need. I feed mostly pellets (in auto feeder 5x/day). The pellets are a mix of herbivore and carnivore foods. I also feed frozen meat based foods and nori.

I really like the Two Little Fishes mag clips because it's so easy to put the nori down at the bottom side of the tank. It's not very visible there and I can get it out without putting more than just my fingertips in the water.

Try different kinds of nori. I use mostly green (gone in a few minutes!) but also have red. I like the green better because it doesn't fall apart like the red during the feeding frenzy. :)

If you leave the clip in the tank the fish will get used to it. Once one fish figures it out the rest will too.

Back