got ethical husbandry?

Feeding RN products- best approach?

I have the suite of RN products; Oyster feast, Rotifers, Phytofeast, Arctipods & the new Mysis (which is really nice for quick feedings). I'm wondering what's the best way to feed these to maximize the 'bang for buck'. I typically feed a small cocktail of Oyster feast, Rotifers, Phytofeast, Arctipods when I feed the fish, which is 1-2 times/ day and also add a small cocktail of Oyster feast, Rotifers, Phytofeast after the lights go out thinking that's when most corals extend their feeding tentacles and would consume the products as well as the ampiods/ copepods & other critters which may be more likely to come out and eat the RN products at night (?). Is it best to feed once or twice after the lights go out and forget about daytime additions of RN or are the small daytime feedings good ideas? I'm trying to maximize the longevity of each bottle and not sure if I need to be adding it during daytime feedings. I'm curious as to how others add RN products. Maybe Gresh & other RN users can chime in on how they feed and best economical approach.

I start with a small balst of OF to stimulate a feeding response. Once everything is open I make a cocktail in a large plastic with tank water in it, over the course of hours I use a turkey baster to shoot pulses of food into the tank in randome spots so the food is evenly distributed to the fish and corals. The cocktail feeding starts around cocktail hour and lasts for about an hour after the lights go out, not only am I feeding my fish, the nocturnal animals get fed too.

I feed when only LED's and actinic T5's are still lit in the evening. By then, all the acans are open and the fish are expectant. I break up about 5 or 6 grams of Rods complete reef food into a shot of tank water. When it's thawed, I dump it in and start the Apex into a feed cycle. The prior routine is daily and every 3-4 days I also give a supplement of 1/2 shot tank water, 1/4 shot Oyster Feast and 1/4 shot Roti Feast all mixed together. Sometimes I supplement Elos dry SvC http://www.elosusa.com/store/product/36/svc-pure-plancton with tank water as well. Target feeding mysis to the dendro and sun coral as I remember during midnight snacks.

I feed when ever i feel like it, OF gets all my corals open. Zooplankton will feed at anytime as will the corals in aquaria as long as there are no preditors. In the wilds its a totally different thing, but we hardly come close to mimicking the wild.

Back