Feeding Urchins

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by GDawson, Apr 16, 2010.

1. GDawson

GDawson Guest

I purchased a tank plus critters from Craig’s List and we’re now in the middle of transfer. I setup a small 15 hex and cycled it to hold the animals until the main tank is moved and stabilized for a week or two. We moved the critters this Wednesday and all seem to be doing well.

Here’s the question: one of the animals is a gianormous urchin. Being that the 15 hex was a new setup there is no algae for it to graze on. I cut a strip of nori, approx 3x1, and rubber banded it to a rock. The urchin found it quickly and settled down to eat. 2 hours later it’s gone. How often does the urchin need to eat like that? I would like to keep feedings like this to a min ‘cause of the small size of the tank.

-Gregory

2. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

im listening to this i want an urchin for my tank and i am interested in learning bout there eating habits

3. phishphood

phishphood Guest

What else is in the tank with it? Any rock from the previous setup? I'm sure you can do every other day just fine for a while at least. Just keep up with water changes (which will probably be needed depending on the amt of critters you have in there + amt of biological filtration).

4. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

every other day at min, every day is better but that can get rough

5. GDawson

GDawson Guest

3 turbos, 1 blue legged hermit, and 2 blood shrimp..... a light load. Right now there's a couple of pounds of rock and a nice 2 to3 inch sand later. I didn't feed for the 48 hours just to see if there would be any ammonia/nitrite spikes first.......everything tested fine. I have water standing by just in case it needs a quick change.....

Rock from the previous setup didn't have much on it. There was a little coralline,but most of that had been ground down by the urchin. The owner really had nothing in the tank. All the above critters were in a 70gal tall with a fuge so it was pretty devoid of algae. It was actually one of the cleanest setups I'd ever seen.

-Gregory