Jestersix

Feeding your Trachyphyllia

I picked up a new addition to my tank yesterday and wanted to see how and what everyone feeds their Trachyphyllia. Prior to my purchase I was doing my research and only saw a few things that they will eat. I was thinking I could feed him a small piece of fresh shrimp as I do my anemone and acan's. Is anyone else doing this or are they just feeding Mysis shrimp, brine, and/or pellets? Also from reading around there seems to be mixed comments on how often to feed them. I have read as much as every few days to once a month. I have also read they have a very slow metabolism.

My last question to the group is outside of shutting off the pumps how are you fending off tank mates so your Trachyphyllia is able to get their meal in? I had read on a forum that someone cuts a 2 liter bottle in half and uses it as a cover and feeds through the hole on top.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 178
Mysis works well. Reef nutrition oyster feast will induce feeding tentacles to come out so you can target feed. I usually try to feed everything a bunch so other things are busy eating while the corals have a chance to ingest the food. A cover like a strawberry basket can work well too. I would recommend once a week feeding.

Okay makes sense. I like the idea of the strawberry basket. I had a popcorn kernel container I cut theach top off and used today. it liked the piece of shrimp I fed it but it was too big... took it over an hour to eat it. the piece didn't seem so big but guess it needs to be smaller next time.

YEah. It should have many smaller mouths correct? Not just one big one? If many smaller mouths many smaller pieces spread out across the whole coral will be easier for it to eat and faster as well.

20161210_145002 (1).jpg
t looked to me it only has one small mouth in the center where it was ingesting the shrimp. Here is picture from the top down I took earlier.

Back