Jestersix

Feeding yumas and rics

Dyngoe

Supporting Member
Hey all,

I know we "can" feed our nice shrooms. I have a couple I'd like to grow and multiply.
1. Does anyone do this?
2. If so, do you see improved growth and splitting?
3. What do you feed it?

Thanks in advance.

Heck yeah I feed them. If they have a mouth in my tank they eat well :) I usually feed them brine shrimp. I attempt to spot feed them all twice a day when i feed my fish. I have the flow cut down enough around them so they have a chance for them to grab them. They don't always eat them but they do most of the time. My Yuma just plit off 1 tiny clone and appears to be doing it again. The magenta yuma from DBTC is growing fast (just posted an updated pic today) and when i got it the shrimp seemed almost as big as it was ;D My blue and purple ric has grown 3 mouths alread (I helped with the splitting :) ) .

Here are some pics.

ricordeayumaeating1.jpg

ricordeayumaeating2.jpg

ricordeayumaeating3.jpg

ricordeayumaeating4.jpg

ricordeayumaeating5.jpg

Here is one of my large yuma, it hadn't got it to it's mouth yet though.
ricordeayuma6.jpg

Here is one of the baby clone from my other thread.
ricordeayumababyeating.jpg

that is SO cool. i love your yuma. i havent tried those yet! it has fantastic color. btw- how do you spot feed them? i understand you turn the flow low, but how do you get it in their mouth?

[quote author=ReeferGirl link=topic=3382.msg49322#msg49322 date=1216263573]
that is SO cool. i love your yuma. i havent tried those yet! it has fantastic color. btw- how do you spot feed them? i understand you turn the flow low, but how do you get it in their mouth?[/quote]
I gently place them their surface with a suringe. Keep your eyes open, I'll have at least 1 baby from a similar yuma in the swap and I might have 1 in DBTC, I haven't decided yet.

You can see it here. I'll try and get some more pics soon.
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=2696.0
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=3185.0

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3382.msg49343#msg49343 date=1216309030]
Notice the cleaner shrimp waiting to steal food at a moments notice.[/quote]

Yep, I used to have to shoo them (I had 2) away but they didn't make it through a 14 hour power outage we had a couple months back. I think I'll live without them for a while, as fun as they are to watch they can be a pain.

Pigs that relish taking food from coral, the little jerks :p. I just notice in almost every picture there he/she is waiting to strike, for some reason most of the time they seem more content to take food from corals than to grab food that's right next to them, or in the water column.

my rics and yumas love silversides. i often mix it w/ cyclops and mashed up spectrum pellets make sure the pieces are small enough or the shroom will spit it back out.

one time i fed a ric w/ 3 mouths close together a larger piece and the two larger mouths fought each other for it. they didn't give up and the two mouths ended up tearing back into one huge one.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3382.msg49357#msg49357 date=1216316846]
Pigs that relish taking food from coral, the little jerks :p. I just notice in almost every picture there he/she is waiting to strike, for some reason most of the time they seem more content to take food from corals than to grab food that's right next to them, or in the water column.
[/quote] They also can rip the "stomach" out of corals in the process...very very hard on corals.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3382.msg49624#msg49624 date=1216709875]
They also can rip the "stomach" out of corals in the process...very very hard on corals.[/quote]
I'm telling you, when ever I get my stomach ripped out it takes me days to recover :D

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=3382.msg49633#msg49633 date=1216735120]
[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=3382.msg49624#msg49624 date=1216709875]
They also can rip the "stomach" out of corals in the process...very very hard on corals.[/quote]
I'm telling you, when ever I get my stomach ripped out it takes me days to recover :D
[/quote]

No joke, they do that.......

Back