Kessil

Felicia's 30 Gallon Seahorse Tank - Seahorses have arrived!!!

I get a kick out of the little smoke like "puffs" after they eat.
Yeah I know! Its too bad those "puffs" are smushed up bits of shrimp and are making the water all dirty. Seahorses are definitely messy eaters. I figure some of that should get filtered out of the water by the sponges and the spiral wire, which are all NPS.

That's really neat Felicia!! You're giving me seahorse envy!! LOL

Glad they settled in just fine :D they look great!
I'm telling you, a nice little 30 gallon seahorse cube would look nice sitting next to one end of the 210 ;)

Yeah, they really just needed a bit of time to settle in :) They're still not 100% adjusted to their new tank since they're still pretty shy, but they get braver everyday.

Thanks! They are so interesting! I learn something new everyday. I just learned that seahorses actually grow algae and you have to squirt them with a turkey baster on occasion to remove the algae. Odd!
I think that goes back to the theory that seahorses do naturally need some regions with reasonably high flow.

They do seem cool. I was considering them till you started hand feeding them! That does NOT fit my lifestyle at all!!

I'll just enjoy your pics and videos.

They do seem cool. I was considering them till you started hand feeding them! That does NOT fit my lifestyle at all!!

I'll just enjoy your pics and videos.
You don't HAVE to hand feed them. I just like interacting with them and it means I can wait a bit longer between water changes. As long as there aren't other aggressive critters to steal their food, you can broadcast feed the tank or you could do a feeding station for them. I just really get a kick out of handing them eat their food and this way there's no leftover uneaten food :)

I've gotten so hooked on the seahorses, that I've decided to change up my stocking plans for this tank a bit. I decided since its a seahorse tank, I should do more seahorses and less fish! The rule of thumb for H. Erectus is one pair (2 seahorses) per 10 gallons, so in my tank, maximum stocking would be 6 seahorses. Since I want to have the two jawfish in there, I wouldn't stock the maximum, but I've decided to do 4 seahorses. So the tank will hold 4 seahorses and the mated pair of jawfish :)

I actually just ordered another seahorse today from Southwatch Seahorse Farm. She'll be shipping on Monday for Tuesday arrival. She's the most unique seahorse they've had in months, since she's considered a "pinto" and she has cirri (the extensions on her head).

In addition to her, the fourth seahorse will be an orange female that I have on hold at Southwatch Seahorse Farm. The little orange seahorse is too small for shipping, so they're keeping her until she's big enough to ship out, which should be around the end of September.

Ummm .... seahorses are not actually horses, they are a type of fish.
(Sorry, could not resist) ;)

Good idea to make it all seahorses though. In particular, no issues feeding.
Yeah...I realized that after I said it, but you guys got the point :) I meant more seahorses and less gobies that I could put in any old reef tank.

It won't be all seahorses. It will be 4 seahorses and the mated pair of jawfish. I target feed the jawfish with a pipet though, so between them and hand feeding the seahorses, that will work out well for feeding this tank.

Yeah. Stupid auto type.
If breed them if there was more of a market, especially local market. They really aren't hard, but do take some time.
Mostly I'd feel bad selling them to lfs knowing that mist likely whoever buys them won't know what they're doing and they likely wouldn't get a good home.
Through the Internet to seemingly knowledgable buyers is the only realistic way to see them off to good homes, but a step I wouldn't want to deal with myself!

Back