Felicia's 30 Gallon Seahorse Tank - Seahorses have arrived!!!

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by FeliciaLynn, Jul 15, 2013.

1. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Supporting Member

It has a suction cup to stick it to the tank or sump to light the fuge. I'm going to leave a window in the black paint on the back of my tank for it to shine through into the fuge compartment.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/jbj-nano-glo-led-refugium-light.html

2. FeliciaLynn

Sounds like a great idea, although I think you could only keep one seahorse in a 12 gallon. Most sites recommend 10 gallons per seahorse minimum, but ideally 30 gallons for a pair. Unless of course you do dwarf seahorses, then you could have a bunch in there. They just need live baby brine multiple times a day which is a lot of work.

3. FeliciaLynn

Yeah unfortunately. A lot of people seem to really like it though and I need something I can mount to the back of the tank.

4. zeroinverse

zeroinverse Guest

Velcro, double-stick tape, plastic hooks over back edge of tank to a "holder", ... ^_^
    Sorry, el-cheapo DIY guy talking here.

5. FeliciaLynn

Yeah, I normally am too. I splurged for once since I'm doing so much other DIY stuff on this tank. Oh well, probably overpaid for that.

6. tr1gger

tr1gger Keyboard Cowboy

I was really thinking you would DIY the light(s) since you did such a good job on the 30

7. FeliciaLynn

I probably should have! Thing is though, I wanted to order through BRS because I wanted to get their dry rock. I used it in the main tank and really like it. BRS's shipping is ridiculously expensive unless you hit the $175 minimum. My shipping cost before I hit the minimum to get free shipping was going to be like $73. Someone suggested that light so I threw it in to make the minimum for free shipping. Better than paying $73 in shipping. BRS is a pain on the shipping front.

tr1gger likes this.
  8. tr1gger

tr1gger Keyboard Cowboy

Man we blew this up to 6 pages in no time!

FeliciaLynn likes this.
  9. FeliciaLynn

Seriously. Apparently DIY and seahorses are popular topics. :)

10. bondolo

bondolo Supporting Member

For future reference, I almost always have something (only $11.61 worth at the moment as it turns out) in my BRS cart that could be added to help get past the free shipping threshold.

11. FeliciaLynn

Good to know! I actually ended up canceling my BRS order because a friend on NR offered me her used JBJ Nano Glo light for only $15. I had realized a few more little things I should have ordered for this build, so I cancelled the order and then re-ordered the same stuff minus the light and plus a few little things to hit the $175 mark. Its all taken care of now, but in the future, I'll have to go in with you guys so that we can hit free shipping. Usually I need just a few things and shipping comes out to like $20.

12. zeroinverse

zeroinverse Guest

Check out RC. I periodically post "request for BRS orders" ^_^

13. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Yeah, this would be a good idea. Maybe we can get orders in on a somewhat regular basis so that everyone's schedules are aligned to make a purchase. We'll have to post something in the Group Buys sub-forum.

FeliciaLynn likes this.
  14. FeliciaLynn

You should post that on BAR as well because I don't ever check RC. :)

15. FeliciaLynn

Yeah, I know there are things I need regularly like B-Ionic, epoxy, frag plugs, etc. that are cheaper to buy on BRS except for the shipping part. If we could get a regular group order going, that would be awesome.

16. FeliciaLynn

I figured it was time for a photo. Lily (the 8 lb cat) is there for size perspective :D
    [​IMG]

denzil likes this.
  17. denzil

denzil Webmaster

It's a trap!

FeliciaLynn likes this.
  18. zeroinverse

zeroinverse Guest

Cats on display eh? :)

Where you buying your seahorses from?

And do you know if the guy in Danville SanRamon is still selling?

19. FeliciaLynn

I'll probably end up getting mine online from either seahorsecorral.com or southwatchseahorse.com

I found one guy on craigslist in the bay area. I forget exactly where he is located though. I e-mailed him to ask about his seahorses and this is what he said,
    "Hi Felicia,

I’ve been breeding now for a few years and have decided to take a break. I still have around 50seahorses left to sell, which could take another month. Demand in the summer is usually low. Check back in August, I should have a few left.

Rob"

tr1gger likes this.
  20. tr1gger

tr1gger Keyboard Cowboy

Someone should hit up BRS to become a BAR sponsor. A monthly or bi-monthly group buy sounds awesome!