Cali Kid Corals

Felicia's 30 Gallon Seahorse Tank - Seahorses have arrived!!!

Man, now I am slowly thinking of putting my Aquapod 12G into a seahorse tank. ^_^ I retrofit it with LEDs and all, but need to research more about seahorses. Either way, it'll be a "passive tank" in the meantime.

Sounds like a great idea, although I think you could only keep one seahorse in a 12 gallon. Most sites recommend 10 gallons per seahorse minimum, but ideally 30 gallons for a pair. Unless of course you do dwarf seahorses, then you could have a bunch in there. They just need live baby brine multiple times a day which is a lot of work.

I was really thinking you would DIY the light(s) since you did such a good job on the 30

I probably should have! Thing is though, I wanted to order through BRS because I wanted to get their dry rock. I used it in the main tank and really like it. BRS's shipping is ridiculously expensive unless you hit the $175 minimum. My shipping cost before I hit the minimum to get free shipping was going to be like $73. Someone suggested that light so I threw it in to make the minimum for free shipping. Better than paying $73 in shipping. BRS is a pain on the shipping front.

For future reference, I almost always have something (only $11.61 worth at the moment as it turns out) in my BRS cart that could be added to help get past the free shipping threshold.

For future reference, I almost always have something (only $11.61 worth at the moment as it turns out) in my BRS cart that could be added to help get past the free shipping threshold.

Good to know! I actually ended up canceling my BRS order because a friend on NR offered me her used JBJ Nano Glo light for only $15. I had realized a few more little things I should have ordered for this build, so I cancelled the order and then re-ordered the same stuff minus the light and plus a few little things to hit the $175 mark. Its all taken care of now, but in the future, I'll have to go in with you guys so that we can hit free shipping. Usually I need just a few things and shipping comes out to like $20.

Good to know! I actually ended up canceling my BRS order because a friend on NR offered me her used JBJ Nano Glo light for only $15. I had realized a few more little things I should have ordered for this build, so I cancelled the order and then re-ordered the same stuff minus the light and plus a few little things to hit the $175 mark. Its all taken care of now, but in the future, I'll have to go in with you guys so that we can hit free shipping. Usually I need just a few things and shipping comes out to like $20.

Yeah, this would be a good idea. Maybe we can get orders in on a somewhat regular basis so that everyone's schedules are aligned to make a purchase. We'll have to post something in the Group Buys sub-forum.

Yeah, this would be a good idea. Maybe we can get orders in on a somewhat regular basis so that everyone's schedules are aligned to make a purchase. We'll have to post something in the Group Buys sub-forum.

Yeah, I know there are things I need regularly like B-Ionic, epoxy, frag plugs, etc. that are cheaper to buy on BRS except for the shipping part. If we could get a regular group order going, that would be awesome.

Cats on display eh? :)

Where you buying your seahorses from?

And do you know if the guy in Danville SanRamon is still selling?
I'll probably end up getting mine online from either seahorsecorral.com or southwatchseahorse.com

I found one guy on craigslist in the bay area. I forget exactly where he is located though. I e-mailed him to ask about his seahorses and this is what he said,
"Hi Felicia,

I’ve been breeding now for a few years and have decided to take a break. I still have around 50seahorses left to sell, which could take another month. Demand in the summer is usually low. Check back in August, I should have a few left.

Rob"

Back