High Tide Aquatics

Female clown Bullying new Pintail Wrasse

So I picked up a pintail Wrasse yesterday and when I first put it into the tank before the lights came on, the pintail was just hiding in a corner.

After the lights came on, the pintail starts to swim around and I see no signs of bullying from any fish.

As the day goes on, I notice the pintail start to hide more and I noticed my female clown is chasing it around..Not only from her hangout spot, but she seems to deliberately swim around the tank to find the pintail to chase/bite it.

Any ideas if this will stop? The pintail has only been in there 1.5 days at this point...Or should I try to catch the clowns at night and get a new pair

Clowns are territiorial (they're Damsels after all.) How big is the female clown and how big is the tank? Is there plenty of rock for the Wrasse to hide in?

It's in a reefer 350 and I've had the female for a year.

The pintail is bigger than the clown...I understand territorial but didn't expect the female to seek out the Wrasse on the other end of the tank

If she's a year old then she's just maturing enough that she will establsih her territory with new fish coming in. Most of the aggression should die down in another day or so. You can just leave the lights off for the next two days to help as well. Another thing that's alwaysgood to do when introducing new fish in a tank with some aggression is to put the new fish in an acclimation box in the tank for 40-72 hours. That often tones down the aggression when a new fish is introduced to the main display.

Back