High Tide Aquatics

FileFish need a home full of Aptasia

boun11

Supporting Member
Free to anyone that can pick it up in Berkeley. It helps destroy all of my aptasia population but read the disclaimer below:

It will eat anything that looks like Aptasia. It went after the following corals in my tank: Duncan, Zoas, and paly! It eats pellets too. Free to anyone that wants it. If you are done with it please pass it on to other BAR member!

Did it start on the other corals after all the aiptasia was gone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with a few aptasia first and then it likes my duncan so it goes after it even though it spits it out. I took the duncan in my sump and it went after all of the big one and then when most of the big aptaisa are gone. It kind of slowly went after some zoas. So I remove those and now I am aptasia free. I am sure there some babies in there that it didn't get.

I would love to take care of your filefish. (Presumably "Matted Filefish")
Although more for Majanos than Aptasia.

Yes, it is! When do you want to pick it up! :) The sooner the better so I can put my other corals back in my tank!

Those are great fish to control Aipts, but the minute all Aipts are gone, your Zoo's and Paly's are next ;) These are one of the best aiptasia assassins next to Berghia nudis.

Learned the hard way myself. Colonies gone just like that.

Those are great fish to control Aipts, but the minute all Aipts are gone, your Zoo's and Paly's are next ;) These are one of the best aiptasia assassins next to Berghia nudis.

Learned the hard way myself. Colonies gone just like that.

Yup! That's why I move them out of my tank :) Mark is picking the fish up this weekend!

Klien Butterflies are good too. I had one that, after I came back from a vacation, had eaten all the (visible) aiptasia in my tank!
However, it sadly died when my crappy DC return pump failed, which stagnated the water and it asphyxiated.

V

I thought about a Klien or Racoon Butterfly fish.
But they are almost guaranteed to go after other corals as well.

I have a Bicolor Angel now. Picks a little at Majanos and Aptasia, along with my green toadstool leather.
Disappointment. Very pretty fish though.

Supposedly the Filefish is a bit more selective.
I would give up growing Zoas if it meant never having Aptasia or Majanos.

I thought about a Klien or Racoon Butterfly fish.
But they are almost guaranteed to go after other corals as well.

I have a Bicolor Angel now. Picks a little at Majanos and Aptasia, along with my green toadstool leather.
Disappointment. Very pretty fish though.

Supposedly the Filefish is a bit more selective.
I would give up growing Zoas if it meant never having Aptasia or Majanos.

Zoas are the second to go! :) You can always cover or move it to a sump and put some light over it. It gets of my aptasia problem within 2-3 weeks.

I figure if the problem is bad enough that you're thinking of breaking things down because of it then if the fish eats a few corals along the way then it's worth it.

It can be the club fish that just gets passed around to whoever needs him.

I figure if the problem is bad enough that you're thinking of breaking things down because of it then if the fish eats a few corals along the way then it's worth it.

It can be the club fish that just gets passed around to whoever needs him.

yes, I was about to cut off the corals and replace the current rock with new rock and glue the corals back on the rock. It was worth the few zoas and paly I lost :)

Last edited:
I am sure Mark can pass it on to you next Mike! I don't think he wants the fish to touch his other corals :)
Nah, I was very serious when I said I was going to super-nuke the rock. Fish are moving to a different area, and then I can make a go at removing what I can without transferring aiptasia over (the RBTAs are going to be "fun" to move)

My Klein comimtted suicide. Jumped out onto the cover of my overflow which is NOT slanted, then *ugh* got stuck there. I hate to think of his death under the Metal Halides.

I hate fish.

Back