Our mission

Finally! Bought an almost new 105 VR

Scored an almost new (6mo old) 105 VR last week. Though, I still have my non-VR lense. I tried using the lense last weekend. Man I spend too much money on lenses, but pictures still come out blurry. I still can't shot. :D

SHR_0820-1.jpg

Probably been asked before, but do you use a tripod? It is almost a requirement with a macro lens
Do you experience focus blur or motion blur?

And grats! (i want canon's analog, but don't want to spend money...strange ;))

My intermediate ability thoughts are use the tripod and a much faster shutter speed ie 800+
Great lens, don't worry, you have all of us envious of your shooting prowess very soon!

I used a monopod. Maybe I should turn off the pumps first and clean the tank, too. Here are sample pictures I took couple days ago.

Cquarium unknown acro
cquarium-unkown.jpg

loripe
loripe.jpg

Disclaimer: All I've leaned has been from word of mouth and my own trials and errors. I do think a faster shutter speed will help. It does for me when I get a little blur around the edges. Also, try manual focus mode for macro if you are not already. The combination of macro, a faster shutter speed and stable tripod should result in stunning pictures from that extra nice lense. What I do is take about 10 shots of my subject and experiment with flash on, flash off, fast speed, slow speed, light compensation, no light compensation. My little Cannon G10 is basically a point and shoot but allows shooting in RAW format as well as great manual overide modes. Perfect for a learn while you shoot person!

Maybe Pixilpixi can suggest. Her pics are breath taking. :cool:

Set to "aperature mode" and try re-shooting at around F1/12 or in that range. Right now, it looksl ike you are running full auto. It works great for shutter speed, but you loose a ton of DOF and that ends up manifesting as 'out of focus" since the focal plane is so narrow.

yes a bit, but maybe not as much as you think. If that is your desired effect, I'd experiment with the F# and if that is your bane, figure a compromise between image quality and the effect. Also might be worth noting that most macro shots are done manual focus. Use a tripod and remote trigger and you can get high sharpness shots.

Turn off pumps, and clean the glass. Be sure the surface of the front glass element on your lens is parallel with the glass pane of your tank.
Use a tripod, much better than a monopod for macros IMO. Use a remote shutter release, or timer mode. I like to use manual focusing so I have more control of what is in or out of focus. In our aquaria which are fairly brightly lit, I never have the need to use an ISO of more than 400, unless I am taking shots of fish, in which has I would crank up the ISO higher.

Back