High Tide Aquatics

finally tested my Mg and is at 1680

Don't do anything, and let it come down on its own, or do water changes.

Also, did you run the test several times?

Thales said:
Don't do anything, and let it come down on its own, or do water changes.

Also, did you run the test several times?
+1

no I did not. this is the first time I have ever used the test. It's a sera test. I don't like the powder portion of it. never know if it's a level scoop. I will test again tomorrow since I am not home and won't be home until morning. if it is that high, will it kill anything and how long would it take for it to lower to a safe level?

The level scoop part IIRC won't effect the outcome all that much. Maybe a more in tuned chemist can jump in, but I think the scoop is just a color agent.

People use elevated MG to kill stuff, but I am not sure what level they actually take it to. Rich has done this, he may know :)

Well I hope I don't kill anything good. damn I just did a 80 gallon water change last week because my LPS' were acting funny. my open brains are still deflated pretty bad. they used to be huge now the just look terrible. the water change helped my acans but not the brains. go figure the SPS' are growing fast and the LPS suffer. Decided to test for once and this is my outcome. hopefully tomorrow when I test the water several times it will be different.

have you added MG since that big change? If not I would highly suspect the test as false. I always run my tests at least twice now just in case something went wrong. With ones that have a questionable end color, I try to do three and average them. I hate testing :(

no i didn't. i don't dose except the occasional b-ionic 2 part alk and Ca. i will start testing the same way as you. just 1 test can be faulty due to user error so it only makes sense to test a few times. thanks again. I hate testing too.

oh no! my snails! DAMN IT!!! I have a lot of the real deal trochus. the ones with the black foot that can flip themselves over. they breed like crazy in my tank.

JRocha said:
no i didn't. i don't dose except the occasional b-ionic 2 part alk and Ca. i will start testing the same way as you. just 1 test can be faulty due to user error so it only makes sense to test a few times. thanks again. I hate testing too.

I wouldn't worry then as I doubt your salt mix was that over. It takes a LOT of MG powder to raise it even a little.

I'd still run the test again to make sure :)

JRocha said:
oh no! my snails! DAMN IT!!! I have a lot of the real deal trochus. the ones with the black foot that can flip themselves over. they breed like crazy in my tank.

If they are fine, what could i do to talk you out of some? A friend of mine wants to start breeding them on a little larger scale and needs some :) IIRC it takes like 10 to beat the odds and get a both a male and female. Bookfish would remember this one, I forget :)

i am supposed to give charles some. We are just on busy schedules it seems. But I don't see why not. every so often I look into my refugium and see at least 10 or more 1/8 inch babies.question is how would I get them to you or when are you going to be in the bay area? I live in Pacifica.

I'd drive up the coast (from Santa Cruz) some night or weekend. What ever works for you, I'll find the time.

k. this weekend should be ok. i just paid for my membership so i will be able to pm you my address or update to see if i have enough for you and charles cause i promised him first.

when my Mg was being raised, I went over a week or so from 1100 (I think) and ended up around 15-1600. Snails started acting funny and dropped from the glass. I think it was Charles who nuked all his snails while mag dosing around that high as well. I'd suspect a bad test(kit?). I like the seachem Mg tests because they decouple Ca from Mg. Some Mg tests don't.

1700+ ppm is the level we'd raise the mag to in order to tranq Haliotis, usually it was a crude dump a box of Epsom Salts into the vat routine, but 1700 is a threshold according to Dr. Morse.

well I didn't notice any snails falling over but then again I wasn't really looking. I will check tomorrow. So high Mg basically affects inverts. Montara is not far at all. I am at the top of pacifica right next to highway 35.

Back