High Tide Aquatics

finally tested my Mg and is at 1680

After hearing some of the hoar story's about faulty test kits, I will test my levels and if the test seems off or something is going wrong in the tank I will take multiple readings and even try a different test kit to make sure the readings are the same.

yeah I am just now starting to test my tanks specs only because my open brains are acting funny. cause I never test my water unless something is trippin out. We'll see what happens

GreshamH said:
JRocha said:
oh no! my snails! DAMN IT!!! I have a lot of the real deal trochus. the ones with the black foot that can flip themselves over. they breed like crazy in my tank.

If they are fine, what could i do to talk you out of some? A friend of mine wants to start breeding them on a little larger scale and needs some :) IIRC it takes like 10 to beat the odds and get a both a male and female. Bookfish would remember this one, I forget :)

Gresh...if you need more black foot trochus, I just got in about 500 of them... :)

BTW...one of the winning couple at BAYMAC ask when are you gonna contact them about the GC? I have a coral that they want to use it on.

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking your thread JRocha.

JRocha said:
well I didn't notice any snails falling over but then again I wasn't really looking. I will check tomorrow. So high Mg basically affects inverts. Montara is not far at all. I am at the top of pacifica right next to highway 35.

I drive past you place several days a week on my way to Millbrae/Hillsborough. High Mag affects gastropods which are particularly sensitive, however, there can be quite a bit of noise in Mag test kits depending on other levels like Ca and Sr.

Well I looked at my tank this morning and everything looked great all my snails were alive and well. Sweet. So it looks like robert wants ur money gresh. Mine are captive bred at this point and they are free.

P.s. u can hijack whatever thread u want to make a buck. Its not my money I don't shop at your store too far and too pricey. Sorry

Not trying to hate on your store. Its nice just a little overpriced. I know what stores pay for their colonies and the 100 to 300 percent mark up isn't something I'm willing to pay for.

JRocha said:
Not trying to hate on your store. Its nice just a little overpriced. I know what stores pay for their colonies and the 100 to 300 percent mark up isn't something I'm willing to pay for.

Oh woh, wait a minute. Robert pays a lot more then you think as he buys cherries only (not many locally buy 100% cherries). He pays a premium for them ;)

GreshamH said:
JRocha said:

Oh woh, wait a minute. Robert pays a lot more then you think as he buys cherries only (not many locally buy 100% cherries). He pays a premium for them ;)
Tell him to stock more Rainiers. I don't care as much for Bings.

never had those I don't think. How are they different? Will they help my corals grow???

GreshamH said:
JRocha said:

LOL...100-300 percent is still cheap. Sometime, it's even a lot more than that.... :)

I guess. Not where I go. Plus I only buy frags that are fully healed not fresh cut frags that you as a customer do not know if it will the frag. Just my opinion. Some people just don't know any better, but like I said its not my money or problem. Oh well. More power to the stores that can do that. It is a business.

ya sorry. I get side tracked very easily. anyway I tested my Mg 2 times and they were both in the 1400's. my snails were doing well and all my coral seemed fine so I think I will be ok. thanks to the people that gave me advice and info. as for the trochus snails I found 9 little guys in my sump today. they are very hard to see as they are just born. if you want some it will be like 5 to 10 babies at a time.

sfboarders said:
If you have any trochus snails that you are giving away I can use some. :) I live next city over in SSF.
hey john, i have no problem donating some to you. PM me your number so we can figure out when I can pass them off to you

JRocha said:
ya sorry. I get side tracked very easily. anyway I tested my Mg 2 times and they were both in the 1400's. my snails were doing well and all my coral seemed fine so I think I will be ok. thanks to the people that gave me advice and info. as for the trochus snails I found 9 little guys in my sump today. they are very hard to see as they are just born. if you want some it will be like 5 to 10 babies at a time.

SWEET. 1400 isn't way out of line. I shoot for 1350 so you're darn close and not in any real danger :)

stupid test kits. Why can;t they be easy AND accurate :(

sweet deal. ya i wish there was an easier way to test. But I did multiple tests of each one just to make sure like you suggested and found out out my nitrates are at 40 or so. ammonia 0 , nitrite 0, dkh 8, PH 8.3. so now its a battle of nitates again. And I just did a 80 gallon water change last week tuesday. This blows. oh well looks like the skimmer goes back on and time to replace carbon and clean out sump. good times ahead, good times. oh yeah another water change as well. Any suggestions on a media like seachem matrix or denitrate that would help as well?

Back