Kessil

Finding The Right Fish

I've been looking into getting some colorful fish for my 34g RSM, but I don't know what kind to get. I currently have a pair of black ocellaris and a 6 line wrasse that has stopped growing at 1.5". I kinda ruined my "rose anemone" tank plan after my 3 polyps I put in the tan a few months back are now in the hundred and I've added many new corals, so I've decided just to make it a colorful reef tank. I have had 0 ammonia, nitrate, and nitrate for many months and I've managed to keep my phosphate down really low. Since I cut my feeding for my fish and nems back they haven't produced as much waste. Anyways, I think it is a good time for me to be looking for new fish since Christmas (money) is around the corner. I love colorful, small fish like my wrasse and would like to get some more.

I'd like to try another jawfish and I know that is a good fish for me since I have a 4" deep sand bed and lots of rocks and hiding places.
Assuming I'm getting a jaw fish, here are requirements I'm looking for in a fish...

Under 3" when full grown
Bright and colorful
Swims around the middle to top of the tank and is active (doesn't just hover in one place)
Reef safe & won't harm any of my other fish, anemones, or corals

Please through me all your suggestions. Thanks! :D

The 6-line will probably kill any other wrasse or any fish that is a similair shape. It can be a mean fish.

I would suggest a Pigmy Angel or Flame Angel. I think that would ok in your tank in my opinion.

Oh thanks! I started looking at info on those and some of them look perfect for my tank! Here are of few I'm considering. I put in my opinion and rating. Can somebody give me some info and opinions on them?

Fisher's Angel (I love how it only gets only 2.25") 4 stars
Cherub Angel (From picture I've seen it looks like a slim fish, which to me looks awesome. I also love the colors!) 4.5 stars
Brazilian Flameback Angel (Good size but might not be the best color to stand out in my tank) 4 stars
Coral Beauty (I would prefer it be smaller than its actual adult size, but very beautiful) 4 stars

Which do you think I should get, why, and where could I purchase one? Thanks! :D

I don't think so. I found one that would be great for my tank, but it is a coral nipper so it is definitely out.
I'm torn between the Fisher's Angel and the Cherub. I like how the Fisher's Angel is so small with just splashes of vibrant color, but I also enjoy how the Cherub Angel is very slim and colorful all over. Since they are both small could I keep them in a tank together without fighting? Also, will they get along with my wrasse and clowns?

They are all iffy. Success but some do nip.

The sixline will demolish any new fish, even the angels IME.

Mine is rather shy and stays in the back unless it is feeding time. He doesn't bother any of the other fish and the six line has inhabited the tank for the longest. I think I have a wrasse with a rather relaxed personality. He didn't even go near my jawfish when I had them.

WEll then by all mean add somethign, roll the dice and see what happens ;)

I'm just telling you what I have found handling hundreds upon hundreds of sixline wrasses. I'm also telling you what I have seen time and time again on the forums. Sure the sun will shine on a dogs behind once in it's lifetime, but it's not the norm ;)

Why ask if you just aren't gonna even listen?

It's risky with anything that could fit into your small tank. My suggestion is trying to catch it so you can add other fish. I've gone this route countless times myself and for friends.

I had one your size in a 30g tank. he killed every fish I tried to put in. Flames, Coral Beauties, Cherubs, even a Passer angel :(

if it was gone, I'd have a hufe list of cool fish for you :)

My vote for a fish would be something like a blue damsel, or something else equally aggressive if you're unwilling to remove the 6-line.

As to coral nipping, yeah they're all potential coral nippers. Long ago when I had a couple angels in my tank, watched as my coral beauty picked at a scoly to death, yet a trach that was partially injured, didn't touch. It's all a matter of what are you willing to risk as far as losing because it really is a crap shoot.

I've been wanting him gone forever since six lines are said to be mean and I've tried many times to catch him, but just can't! I decided recently to keep him in there, but since he is aggressive and could attack my other fish I'll try my best to get him out. I have a HUGE rock structure that goes all the way to the top of the tank. How the heck am I supposed to catch him? He darts when I even open the tank hood! Since you said you've handled hundreds of wrasses how do you catch them in a tank crowded with rocks, corals, anemones, and other fish? :(

Well IMO... and I would probably go so far as to say you should take this as more than an opinion... but you should continue to try and get that fish and not put a new one in there until you get the old one out.

A great way to get fish out, and might be quite feasible with your "small" setup, is to get a container that can hold a majority of your water (how do you do water changes? any old buckets? a garbage can you mix water in?) and drain your tank of as much water as possible, as the water level gets lower catching fish with a net becomes much easier. When you're done pump the water back into the tank.

I had to remove all my live rock when I wanted to get my yellow tail damsel out. (he lives in another tank by himself now) you can make a fish trap, there are a few DIY's out there.

This was really helpful to me when I was looking at fish. http://www.reefs.org/forums/topic44760.html

I've kept six lines successfully with scooter blennies in the past. The red ones, while not super colorful are pretty and they have a great personality. Yellow watchmen gobies can be very colorful (yellow with metallic blue spots) and should get along fine with a six line too.

If the fish is wary/smart, it can be really really hard to catch him even with a trap. I waited patiently to catch my Mystery Wrasse for literally two weeks, probably an hour or so each night. The bastard never went into the trap, he was super suspicious of it.

In the end, I had to chase him into a rock and then remove the rock from the tank and gently shake him out.

My six-line is definitely a mean little sucker. He punks my orchid dottyback all the time. I will soon be moving out my orchid dottyback to a larger tank. The only reason I am willing to live with the six-line's obnoxious behavior is because it [i hope] helps to control small pests.
If you do want to remove the six-line I also vote for the fish-trap.

Eight said:
I've kept six lines successfully with scooter blennies in the past. The red ones, while not super colorful are pretty and they have a great personality. Yellow watchmen gobies can be very colorful (yellow with metallic blue spots) and should get along fine with a six line too.

If the fish is wary/smart, it can be really really hard to catch him even with a trap. I waited patiently to catch my Mystery Wrasse for literally two weeks, probably an hour or so each night. The bastard never went into the trap, he was super suspicious of it.

In the end, I had to chase him into a rock and then remove the rock from the tank and gently shake him out.

So not only are you suggesting he add more fish, your suggesting a scooter dragonet (they are not blennies) for his nanno? WOW

Back