First Saltwater Tank!!!

As I have stated this is my first saltwater tank. Starting with:
20gal standard
30gal aquaclear HOB filter
T5HO 96W lighting
18lbs live rock
2" sub
Koralia 425gph powerhead

The rock I got has been cycled already. The sub is "pre cycled/live". I just put everything in the tank tonight. The tank is very cloudy right now, but I will take a pic tomar. I was thinking about cycling the tank for at least 2wks, since everything is "pre cycled". I don't know about that tho, they said I could start putting corals/frags after 1wk. I am not too comfortable with that, am i thinking properly?

Anyway, I am up for any advise, comment away!

your going in the right direction... since the rock is cycled( from a exsisting tank) you should be in good shape.... i would get a fish to cycle tank versus trying corals first.... i am not an expert but i think your going in the right directiion.... t5 lighting good, seems like enough flow, filter is good maybe run carbon in it.

there are many people much more exp. than me but your on the right path my friend

where r u loctaed

I would use test kits to see when you think the tank is ready, then add a dead shrimp to the tank to see if the cycle can handle a small ammonia spike, if it can then you are ready for fish or corals, with "pre-cycled" rock this could happen as soon a month or so, but "pre-cycled" is really only true if the rock was never out of water or out for a very very short period of time (basically the amount of time it takes to kill off living things on the rock, which in the case of a sponge could be less then a min), IMHO live sand is a waste as if it comes from an old tank it most likely has more bad stuff then good stuff in it, and should be at the least rinsed out before being added to a tank, which would in turn kill off anything living in it, or it comes from a bag which you have to know is just a scam to charge a lot of regular ol sand.

Test kits are the only way you know once your cycle has completed. Personally I would throw a dead shrimp in there and let everything spike. Once your ammonia and nitrites have hit 0 and you have nitrates your cycle is over. Add your livestock slowly after your cycle has completed.

Thanks guys!

After some thinking, I might keep cycling for 1mo, but I will check everything out every wk. I think ill try that shrimp idea, never heard of it, but sounds like a good test for the beni bac.

I will post pictures of the start later today or tomar. I am glad to hear I am on the right path. Though the path seems VERY wide right now lol. Its 4.5wks in and barley added what I added yesterday. Patience is virtue I guess. lol

@eldiablosrt8 I am located in Santa Clara, CA. Where you at?

Got the live rock scapped! I took some pics, but the water is very cloudy since i moved some sub around. Will post pics tomar night when the water is clear.

The one thing I did not do with my rock was save enough space between it and the sides to add frag plug and then space for the coral to grow out and still have room for a magnet to make cleaning the sides easier.

The bridge is nice and will give you a place to tuck let light loving coral.

when i switched my tank for the therd time ; one therd of the old watter went in the new tank's and i naver had a problum. well good luck but i dont think u'll need it.

Okay so, its been awhile since my last post and I have this orangish/brown stuff on everything. I noticed a small patch on the sub late Sunday afternoon, and now its all over the LR and 1/2 the sub is covered. I heard this is just cycling and it should slowly go away.

any thoughts?

Pic? Could just be diatoms, in which case no biggy, could be cyano (red slime) in which case not the end of the world but needs to be dealt with

well its not red slime, maybe its just diatoms... I did a quick search and my tank is starting to look like this:

http://anters.wordpress.com/2009/01/17/diatoms-algae/

I will post a pic tonight when I get home. Thanks for the quick reply Coral reefer!

Okay so i have a huge problem now... I have never had this problem keeping fish ever. Now I do.

Anyways, I have a ton of green alge all over the glass, sub and rock. i just came home to it tonight. Any ideas how to get rid of it? I just performed a water change on Sat and all i had then was a couple diatoms on the glass and sub which came right off. Is this just part of the new tank syndrome or what?

Thanks for any help!

If it is not slimy it is part of the long drawn out cycle and you're right on schedule. If it is really annoying you can do a couple of water changes and use a little GFO to control the growth, otherwise you're right on track :)

Here are some pics... tuberider: i am pretty sure your right, but i just can stand looking at it lol. I know i just need to give it time.

DSC03903.jpg

DSC03905.jpg

DSC03904.jpg

DSC03900.jpg

Is there anyway of getting rid of it? I know I know let it run its course, right?

Back