First Tank!

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by jorahx4, Jan 3, 2018.

1. JVU

JVU Supporting Member

Your description sounds like cyano. It is normally in every tank and is not harmful. It forms visible (ugly) mats under certain conditions that are not well understood (despite endless speculation on threads) but in general are more common in new tanks.

It is easy to suck out the mats with water changes if you want. Or you can blow them off rocks with a turkey baster and filter out with filter socks.

You should invest some time to figure out how to take good pics of your tank; it will be very helpful every time you post a question.

2. jorahx4

jorahx4 Supporting Member

That's what I spent tonight researching. How to turn my gfs camera into my reef camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

I’ve had good luck with chemiclean to get rid of cyano if that’s what it is. You should get a positive id on itbefore treating for it. I have quite a bit extra left over in the container from when I needed it if you want to come get some from me.

Also, I have tons of cerith snails if you want a couple dozen.

4. jorahx4

Thanks I appreciate it! But my biggest issue is not knowing how many snails I should get. Haha. I feel three isn't enough.

I'm in the process of getting better quality photos and than I'll be able to show with better detail the algae growth.

5. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Have you tested phosphates? Generally I associate cyano with elevated phosphates...

6. jorahx4

No I don't have a phosphate test kit.

7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I'd probably get the Hanna checker or just start using some gfo preemptively.

8. JVU

JVU Supporting Member

Yes, if I recall correctly I actually got the idea for that squared colander from one of the TTM threads!

9. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

Tank is pretty young to really stress over a little algae here and there?

10. jorahx4

Not really to stressed. Mostly just trying to learn of changes that I notice in the tank. And document them.

daddio likes this.
  11. jorahx4

So. Tonight I spent just watching the corals and noticed some things about my hammer that confused me. I took some pictures of you guys wouldn't mind looking at and letting me know your thoughts.

First, when the lights are on I noticed the hammer part of the coral was discolored.
    [​IMG]

Second, with the lights off it retreated in a bit and noticed this other thing on its side. Kind of looks like a scar.

[​IMG]

12. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

The discoloration is the latest fad/strain of hammer's and frogspawn. They're called mottled or bi-color hammers/frogspawn.

https://goo.gl/v4QZK4

Your second pic, unsure what you're talking about. Are you talking about the dark spot on skeleton flesh on right back side?

13. jorahx4

Well that's good to know it's a normal thing (the top picture) I was afraid it was getting to much light and dieing or something.

The red slice thing on the right side of the skeleton. I didn't know if that is the process of forming a new head or if my emerald crab decided to take some bites out of it.

14. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

Red spot looks like coralline algae that grew before flesh extended that far down.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  15. jorahx4

Alright, cool. I'll monitor it. Thx for help.

16. jorahx4

Hi guys! Been a few days since the forums have been working. So here's the latest update on my tank!

Got a little cleaner shrimp (smallest one they had) he's a pretty cool guy. Like to roam around and eat the food I drop for the clownfish.

[​IMG]

Two days ago I got an anemone. And did a little "do it your self" project to make a box for it. So the anemone doesn't go roaming into a power head or over flow. And it allows me to keep him separate while I figure out exactly where I want my corals. Or maybe I'll put the corals in the box while I let the anemone find his comfy spot. Anyways here's some pictures. The box I made out of some plastic mesh I found at a hobby store and zip ties. And used my flipper to hold it against the glass exactly where I want it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.s. Yes I know it's to early for an anemone.

17. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

I don’t know if I’d say it’s too early. They tend to be fairly hearty. It’s got some good coloring.

18. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

Too early? As long as you have stable water parameters, a BTA will do just fine.

When you finally let it out in the tank, it will roam around for a long time. Best thing to do is to guard all your powerheads so it doesn't get chopped up, and then let it roam around before getting any coral. If you don't have coral, it's going to be stress-free while it walks all over the place. If you have coral, it will just start killing things as it goes.

Let it settle down first, and not move for at least a month before having confidence it'll stay. And even then, there's no guarantee it won't up and move again.

My suggestion: let it out. Let it roam now and settle in.

19. Flagg37

Flagg37 Colorado member

Mine only moves when it splits.

20. jorahx4

Okay cool, that was another thought I had. Put the corals that I have in the basket and let the nem roam and find a comfy spot. Than introduce the corals again.

kinetic and ashburn2k like this.