High Tide Aquatics

First Tank!

Oh haha. Okay! Thanks for the suggestion. I put everything farther away from the light so they can slowly get used to my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all the new additions you may want to test your alk every day for the first few days just to make sure it doesn’t swing too much. Also make sure you’re testing around the same time every day. The corals don’t intake the alk linearly so to get an accurate idea of its consumption try to test the same hour of the day. Because your tank is on the smaller side the swing can be more dramatic.

Yeah I test every night at 9pm. It's my first guarantee open window every day.

I currently get nsw from lfs. Been reading and learning about mixing my own. And trying to find a salt that I would like to use. But I'm afraid once I put in the new salt water it could shock the coral.

It’s possible but if you’re concerned you can slowly mix it. Use 3/4 nsw from the fish store and 1/4 from the mix. Then 1/2 next time and so forth. I don’t know how much you change and how often but if it is like 10% a week you may not need to mix the two at all. Others can chime in if they feel I’m wrong but imo salinity and alk are going to be your two things to look for to change as little as possible in the transition. The other elements can change fairly dramatically without detriment. The salinity is easy enough to control by how much you dilute the mix with RODI water. The alk you’ll want to be no more than .5 dkh different from the tank on the safe side (1.0 if you want to be more risky and push it quicker).

Thank you for the detailed response! And i currently do a 2.5 gallon water change out every weekend. So a little over 10%.

I was looking into the Red Sea salt and it has a much higher alk than what I currently have my tank at. So maybe I'll try that diluting like you said.

Oh haha. Okay! Thanks for the suggestion. I put everything farther away from the light so they can slowly get used to my tank.

I read some articles or video that seem to suggest this is actually not ideal. Put them under the same/similar light intensity from where they came. In a vendors tank they were probably in full light and putting them in less light can actually stress them more

I read some articles or video that seem to suggest this is actually not ideal. Put them under the same/similar light intensity from where they came. In a vendors tank they were probably in full light and putting them in less light can actually stress them more

I didn’t light acclimate any of the corals that I got this weekend, although I waited until late afternoon when my lights were ramping down and near all blue before I added them to the tank. Some opened up within a few minutes, some opened up the next day but they’re all fine. That said, the only sps that I purchased was the garf bonsai. Although surprisingly, the garf extended its polyps almost the minute I placed it on my rockwork! Made me very happy [emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you want to use Red Sea but want to ru. Lower Alk. Take a look at the regular Red Sea Salt. Can’t remember the name but it’s in a blue bucket rather than black like the Coral Pro.

Two days of testing. Alk is staying stable around 7.6. I'll do another test tonight after work.

Thinking about getting an icecap gyre 1k. For a more uniform flow across the tank. Just don't know if, 1k gph plus the two return pumps of 158 gph, if that would be to much flow for a 20 gallon tank.

I believe I would be able to dial back the gyre. But I can't find details on how the variable speed.

Back