Cali Kid Corals

Fish not eating and die, what cause?

I bought 5 fish from and reputed LFS and thinking they are healthy. I bring them home a two of them never eat anything and die later (Magnificent Foxface die in 5 day and powder blue Tang die in 7 days). Also the orange spot diamond goby die on last Friday, he jump out of the tank and I saw him dried up after work. I have around 8 other fish in the tank and they are eating and doing well. Anyone experience this before?

Yes I have had fish die for no apparent reason, even if they are eating. Stress during their travels from reef to us or collection with cyanide are my best guesses.

Does the LFS offer any guarantee? Obviously the jumping fish would not be covered because the tank should be covered! (pun intended!!) Speak to the LFS owner. Perhaps bring in a water sample. See if they can help you out.

I did not ask but I used to bought most of my aquarium stuff from them. Let me try water sample test but I think my water parameter are OK. I guess I should ask LFS to feed the fish before take them home.

Yes, unfortunately, fish may die, no matter how good the LFS is, or how perfect your tank is.
By the time it gets from capture, through wholesaler, to LFS, who know what happens.

+1 on the cyanide collection being a likely issue.

One thing you can do is ask fish store to feed the fish you are planning to buy.

Sorry, not to be harsh, but the Goby jumping is your fault though.
Many fish naturally jump a lot. If you plan to buy one that does, cover your tank first.

I did not ask but I used to bought most of my aquarium stuff from them. Let me try water sample test but I think my water parameter are OK. I guess I should ask LFS to feed the fish before take them home.

How big is your tank? How long has it been running?

Five fish is a lot to add at one time. Depending on size, this could more than double your bio-load.

Eating in store is always a good sign! SW fish seem more affected by change. I've moved clowns from one tank to another and they won't eat for a couple of days. I've had FW angelfish shipped across country (2 days in transit) and eat like piranha one hour out of the box.

Most quality LFS are willing to work with you. They want to keep you as a customer.

As Fidel mentions, it's always good to QT. Gives the new guy as stress free an environment to recover from the hell of transit.

Yes, unfortunately, fish may die, no matter how good the LFS is, or how perfect your tank is.
By the time it gets from capture, through wholesaler, to LFS, who know what happens.

+1 on the cyanide collection being a likely issue.

One thing you can do is ask fish store to feed the fish you are planning to buy.

Sorry, not to be harsh, but the Goby jumping is your fault though.
Many fish naturally jump a lot. If you plan to buy one that does, cover your tank first.
The Goby is a nice an healthy fish, he ate a lot. my kid love him so much. And yes, his death is totally my fault.

How big is your tank? How long has it been running?

Five fish is a lot to add at one time. Depending on size, this could more than double your bio-load.

Eating in store is always a good sign! SW fish seem more affected by change. I've moved clowns from one tank to another and they won't eat for a couple of days. I've had FW angelfish shipped across country (2 days in transit) and eat like piranha one hour out of the box.

Most quality LFS are willing to work with you. They want to keep you as a customer.

As Fidel mentions, it's always good to QT. Gives the new guy as stress free an environment to recover from the hell of transit.
I have a 120g, all the fish are small size, 2-2.5 inch, only the goby around 3 inch.

How long has it been running?

My unfortunate feeling is that you have a new setup.

This set up is running around 5 weeks but half of the live rock and live stock (coral) was transfer from another running tank. pictures taken on 8/18.

Attachments

• 20130818_223557.jpg
    20130818_223557.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 237
Tank is too new, let it mature for awhile. And it's probably better to add less fish at a time. Also, quarantine is a great idea for many reasons, health if fish, and bein able to feed in private at first. Not sure where you got them, but that can matter as well. Please be patient here, nothing good happens fast with this hobby.
Have you tested your water at all? If so, what parameters?
I'm suspicious of ammonia and nitrites here.

General suggestion:
When asking for help, always put down the actual numbers from water testing.
Salinity, PH, Alkalinity, Calcium, Nitrate, Phosphate, Ammonia, Nitrite

If you are a total expert, and know they are fine, still put them down anyway.
It will keep people from wasting time asking about water quality.

If you are new, definitely put them down.
It could very well be your problem.

of course acclimate before put them into my tank.
Sorry but we have to ask these detailed questions if you didn't explicitly state so in your original post. We can't make any assumptions so it's always best to state as many details as possible so you don't have several members asking the seemingly obvious. :)

Stress on any fish will make them suspectible to illness and disease. For wild caught fish, definitely quarantine to feed and observe. Allows you to easily medicate the quarantine tank and prevents entire display tank infection. Once you have a tank wipe out from a new fish, you make quarantine a regular practice the rest of your life.

Back