Neptune Aquatics

Fish Suggestions for Nano

We have a Solana 34 that only has a black oscillaris and an orchid dottyback. We’d like to put one more fish in there that’s mebbie a little bigger and bolder. The other two fish hide a lot. As they’re both still quite young and from ORA I'm guessing they're used to LOTS of company in the rearing tanks. A bolder “dither” fish it might bring them out? The tank is in the dining room so there’s not a lot of activity on a regular basis. When there are people around they tend to hide ‘cause of this. The tank only has hardy softies and LPS and won’t change from that.

Suggestions?

-Gregory

For true dither fish, I think you need a school. A small group of 3 or 5 blue-green Chromis might do the trick.
Helped a lot for me.
Closest single fish that might be what you want is a Bangaii Cardninal.
A really cool fish. Peaceful and slow moving most of the time. Never aggressive.
But with some good food - zoom.
And they don't take and sh*t from other fish, which may be important to you with that not so peaceful dottyback.

I would get another clown or a 6 line wrasse.

When you feed your fish, move around a lot and get them accustom to when they see people, food is coming.

The Dottie back is actually a pretty bold fish and clowns will eventually swim into your hand so I don't think you need to persuade them out. They just need time.

I never liked cardinal fish, but that's just me. I'd consider a wrasse- yellow coris is 1 that comes to mind. there are lots to choose from that swim a lot and do well in smaller tanks. Is the dottyback aggressive at all?

If you can get the right food you could get a sleeper goby; those guys are really active and they look really cool when they siphon sand through there gills.
images

I'm hoping that the fish will get bolder with time and age, but for now they're very reclusive when there's activity around the tank. But again they're very young still and very small. I'd like to consider another clown but this is "my wife's" tank (she chooses the inhabitants and I take care of them). We've had horrible luck with the black oscillaris, the only kind she likes, with only 2 out of 5 living. It's been everything from brooklynella to mystery death so she's given up on clowns.

The dottyback is really small and very peaceful/timid right now. It lives in a small cave it excavated at the base of the rocks.

I've had my fill of anthias......

A wrasse is a distinct possibility....just need to be sure it's not a jumper (aren't all wrasses jumpers?) as this is an open top.
If a wrasse is possible it would be a tough decision.

-Gregory

nudibranch said:
If you can get the right food you could get a sleeper goby; those guys are really active and they look really cool when they siphon sand through there gills.
images

I kinda ruled out gobies and blennies. I was worried about feeding them correctly and excess nutrients in the tank from the left over food. We are planning on adding a couple of blood shrimp as the last additions. Mebbie they would pickup the balance of food?

-Gregory

GDawson said:
The dottyback is really small and very peaceful/timid right now. It lives in a small cave it excavated at the base of the rocks.

-Gregory
My Gramma did the same thing but eventually it got more confident. Also if you try hand feeding the Clownfish something like frozen Mysis Shrimp it will stop being as scared of people like mine did; it got to a point were it would nibble on my fingers when we put them in.

nudibranch said:
GDawson said:

-Gregory
My Gramma did the same thing but eventually it got more confident. Also if you try hand feeding the Clownfish something like frozen Mysis Shrimp it will stop being as scared of people like mine did; it got to a point were it would nibble on my fingers when I put them in.
Oops

Dottybacks are generally listed as "semi-agressive". (Liveaquaria and other sites).
I had one, and it was nice for a while, but turned VERY aggressive to similar fish. Especially to a timid firefish.
I had mixed feelings when it somehow managed to jump up and get stuck between tank and light fixture and died.

Agree, train your fish. Put your face up close when feeding, maybe fingers in tank even.
They really do get to know you.

rygh said:
Dottybacks are generally listed as "semi-agressive". (Liveaquaria and other sites).
I had one, and it was nice for a while, but turned VERY aggressive to similar fish. Especially to a timid firefish.

And you recommended a Bangaii?

A few of the fish on the suggested list do not belong in a nano tank FYI..

My sharknose gobies were not shy of anything and were always out in the open, often swimming together. nano friendly as well and non jumpers :)

http://www.google.com/images?q=sharknose+goby

My wife likes the sharknose gobies......looks like they won.

Side note: We replaced the stock 55wt CF pendant with a Nova Extream T5 setup. Immidiately after the upgrade both fish came out and are very visible and not afraid of people. Don't know....mebbie with the low light they thought it was eternal dusk and time for sleep? The OEM light was VERY dim and had problems growing mushrooms!

-Gregory

Back