Cali Kid Corals

Fishnfst's downgrade :)

Ok had a bad crash awhile back and still have not redone the tank.. I've since decided to downgrade due to electricity costs.. Old tank: 58g oceanic 2x250w se, 2x110 vho's= big electricity bill.. New tank: 20g nano 1x150w de no supplementation=hopefully less electricity :) Thanks to all the BAR members who had enough stuff laying around for me to make this possible on a budget...

Got the tank from Mike (nuuze) it's like a tall deep 10g.. 20x15x16.. It's setup as an AIO nano cube type tank.. Not sure of the builder but its acrylic with a blue back.. Figured I didn't want the headaches of such a small water volume so I drilled the filter compartment for a 1" drain out the bottom.. It's going ot be plumbed to a truvu platinum series 75 skimmer sump compliments of Matt (dyngoe).. Return duties are relegated to an eheim 1048 through a 2way squirt from Zoilo (zivic2play).. I have 2 skimmers to choose from.. My current euroreef 5-2 or a H-S 100 series recirc skimmer.. I cut a tee in with a ball valve already if I decide to go recirc... The H&S has some pump issues so it might have to be put aside for a bit until I have time to work on it.. Auto Top off provided by Roy (Radiolunatic) 7g NURCE, great setup.. Just got to play with it the other day. No pumps or float switches to fail... Lighting consists of a 150w de reflector and icecap ballast... Haven't decided on a bulb yet.. Probably going ot end up with something 20k so I don't have to supplement.. The tank is only 16" deep so hopefully that'll be enough light.. LR provided by Boun (gw11ucb)..

Pics will be posted in the next couple of days time permitting...

Special thanks to Ian for harassing me into getting this project going so he can free up room in his frag tank :)

Doug,

Go with the Phoenix 14k bulb. A lot of output and enough blue to run without supplementation. I have one running on my nano at work and love it. I ran the 250w versions but liked the 150 better because it was more blue.

Doug, good to hear that the Nurce work well for you too. I love it when I run my 180 gallon setup. I need to refill every third day though. Used it for 2 years .. never fail. Since I am running 360 gallon now, I have to go to different direction, but still keeping a Nurce just incase. :) At one time I have 3 of them ..

Doug,

Here's a photo of my nano using the 14k for reference.

IMG_3368.jpg

Here is a pic of the rock work.. I 'm still trying to decide what kind of scape I want.. I might remove the large rock on the right side and replace it with a bunch of smaller rocks...

2756242140_8829ae5a21_b.jpg

pic of the sump:

2756242148_850e127f2e_b.jpg

leftover rock.. The holding tank is 3x2x16"

2756242158_df432a30c0_b.jpg

[quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=4191.msg52015#msg52015 date=1218551300]
Am I seeing correctly that you are using an OM on one output? Oh the humanity!
[/quote]
Two.. one on the left and one on the right..

Thanks Phong, I just saw the extra one. A little optical illusion on my end.

BTW, Doug, looks like the HS skimmer is tearing things up. Fix the pump issue? Also, are you running a fuge in there? Or, is that what the 10G was for?

I put a new impeller and replaced the intake volute and its purring like a kitten now... Kinda weird as there didn't appear to be anything wrong with the old impeller.. It chattered like crazy though.. I tried swapping back and forward between the new endcaps and shaft but no go.. It would start up quiet but within 20 minutes or so it would be chattering again..

On a side note does anyone know what the operating temp of the OM squirt should be? It was getting upwards of 120 degrees so I unplugged it.. Is that normal operating temp?

Not sure if I'm going to add a fuge yet.. I am picking up a 29g to plumb in with a second return pump.. Gonna just plug it with as much leftover rock as possible.. ala acgreens dsb and liverock fuge setup.. I was going to add the ten but it looks like it has a tiny leak coming from one of the bottom seams somewhere.. Going to have to investigate it further....

what does everyone think about the packed with lr look? Should I take out that gigantor piece on the right and add some smaller more appropriately sized rock and opt for more open space? Or just leave it?

I'm am also in the market for a ranco etc preferably dual channel....

Hey Doug,

Do you have an old digital thermometer laying around? We can go to Fry's and buy the parts to make a single chanel controller for ~$7. This one would work for cooling. I'm not sure, but I think we can make one for heating as well. A little work, but more tunable than a Ranco. I hate how they water a whole degree before clicking on and then go a whole degree below.

BTW, sorry about the 10G. It must have been stressed during the many moves.

no problem dude.. It was a freebie anyway .. hahahah I think I might have some beater coralife ones... Will that work? I'd like to build two if possible.. One to use on my heaters and one for a fan... I just threw away about 15 titanium heaters that have been collecting dust in my storage.. The thermostats/ temp control would go out on them.. Some only worked for a couple of months before taking a dump...

Yes, the old cheap coralifes work great for a cooler controller. I had one setup on my old tank for my fans. I believe we can do the same for heating, but it might not be "as" easy. The coralife have NTC thermistors and and you want a PTC for heating in the design I know. But, I'll check the diagram and see what I can figure out. One thing to know, while these are VERY tunable and accurate, you have to dial them in with a thermometer. But, once they are set they have a very low tollerance (~.25 deg).

BTW, don't you trust the heaters built in controller?

Its' not that I don't trust the heaters controllers .. I have had so many go bad.. I've spent 3-400 in heaters in the last couple of years.. I like this whole external controller setup... The only heater that has held up is an old otto that I have that was made in germany with an all in one external controller.. I've been using it for about 15 years and my dad used it for 10 before that... The dial on it is spot on and it holds the temp where I've wanted it too..

I don't care about the accuracy of the dial just as long as its repeatable.. All of my other heaters I set with an external thermometer anyway.. I make small adjustmens until it holds the temp I want.. Many of my old heaters could be off by as much as 10 degrees.. :( It's all good though as long as they hold a consistent temp...

I could always use one of your homemade setups for my fans ,then buy a single stage ranco for 50 for my heaters..

Ok I received some constructive criticism regarding the rockwork :) I'll try and open up the rockwork a bit... Pics to follow soon...

Ok how is this? A little more open...

2758385093_52f58a1d90.jpg

Back