Flame angelfish good or bad in reef tank?

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by xinumaster, Apr 15, 2010.

1. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

Anyone have experience keeping a flame angel in their reef tank?
    Do they pick on corals?
    Which corals do they touch?

2. phishphood

phishphood Guest

I had a nice little monster that went after monti/acro polyps and also my open brain. I know some people (not me personally) have had them go after acans/other LPS like them.

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

As one of my old LFS owners used to tell me, "there's about a 50/50 chance" :D

That said, I'd definitely say bad for a reef tank. However if the tank is SPS dominated and well matured maybe not so much, since the damage would be minimized (hopefully) to any one coral. However I wouldn't trust it if there were any tasty poofy lps that were in the tank.

I had one in my softy tank some time ago, and didn't notice anything affected by it but then again I kept mine well fed.

4. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

I see. I bought a pair couple days ago, but I haven't pick it up yet. I might probably trade it in back for something.

5. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Picked one up from Neptune from their last shipment. Small little guy at 1.75" or so.

Figured that I'd give it a go (50/50 like Mike said) after seeing the fat ones at DPV. Seems like a model citizen so far and hasn't touched any of the LPS. It does get fed quite a bit like the rest of the fish however.

6. tuberider

tuberider Guest

I have yet to see one not learn to eat corals, or bully tankmates for that matter...

7. xinumaster

xinumaster Guest

Anyone want a pair?

8. sfboarders

sfboarders Guest

Don't do it!!!! It nips at everything. I just removed him along with my heniochos and coral beauty. If you wanna try him out I'll sell him to you. :)