High Tide Aquatics

Flatworm Exit, are the ingredients known?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Just curious if they're known or if it's a top secret propritary type solution. At $22 a bottle, can get pricy if they come back. Just wondering if there's a simply chemical that you can get from a chemistry store or something that can off them.

I did a triple dose on my tank awhile back.

The first time I dosed they all eventually came back.

I wish I knew what it was.

Although I have a leopard wrasse now, and they supposedly eat flatworms. I originally bought the leopard wrasse because I wanted it, not because they are flatworm eradicators.

Here's an interesting reference:

http://ojas.ucok.edu/02/papers/lFimple02.htm

I did a Google on "planaria LD50" and that article came up.

Apparently planaria(freshwater) are very sensitive to salicylic acid. The LD50, lethal dose 50, is less than .005%.

LD50 for daphnia and snails was .01%. And way higher for crayfish.

I'd say it's worth playing around to do some experiments. You could try aspirin, acetylsalicylic acid. Or corn remover, salicylic acid. Easy to find stuff at Long's.

I'd guess that Flatworm Exit is more likely a commonly available substance with low toxicity to humans siince Salifert hasn't put a ton of warnings or made an MSDS readily available. Probably not a neurotransmitter related thing, and not an organophosphate type pesticide.

I did find that Marine Depot requested and received the FE MSDS from Habib.

Worth Googling for published research containing the terms, "LD50 or LC50 AND planaria" to find out more. LC50 = lethal concentration 50.

Post anything interesting you run across!

Yeah I pretty much triple dosed the first time, there were a LOT of them, and this is after a siphoned, the water actually turned a bit of a reddish tint to it, I was scooping them out as I saw them floating, but man there were so many. Ended up losing my foxface (the best algae eater that has ever lived) and a bicolor angel, a day or two later, guessing there were too many toxins.

I re-dosed some today, but there weren't as many so hopefully it'll get them all, if not I'll dose again, and again and well ok maybe I'll stop one of these days. I got a "yellow coris" wrass, but he disappeared and never saw him again.

Ok, found an easy qualitative assay for salicylic acid.

Turns purple when you add ferric chloride.

Other phenol based compounds will do similar colors though.

After using Flat Exit myself I would never recommend using it. Actually I would recommend not using it and let nature take its course. I have had more than a few tanks with them and in every case they have died out on their own. This usually takes about a year. They die out slow so there is no stress to the system assuming your using a skimmer. They don't hurt anything except the visual of the tank. They can sometimes get quite numerous but be patient.

I used it before and never had a problem. Triple the dose the first time and then 5 times the second time (after 1-2 week).

Back