Our mission

Flow question

Hello,

I am new to reefing and most of what I know about it is from reading and advice of a few friends.

I have a standard size 55g tank with about 80 lb of live rock. I have been cycling the tank for a while with 1 old 500gph power head. I recently added a protein skimmer and 2 Hydor Koralia Evolution Circulation Pumps 1050gph and I am a little worried that the flow is to much. Initially they were blasting sand around and things, I re-positioned them and it looks good in there now, but if I'm worried that when I add fish they will get blown around, or swim sideways etc...

I read that 20x tank volume is a good place to be for flow. That would be 1100 GPH. The 2 new pumps put me at 2100 now. That does not take into account the canister filter that has the spray bar output. I have tried to point the Koralia's at rocks to avoid Laminar flow, but I feel like there could be some since the pumps are at a constant rate and not "wave pumps."

The end goal for my tank is to have an anemone / clown host. I don't plan to have any SPS.

Can you provide your feedback about how I should setup my flow ?

Thanks,
Josh

Flow sounds fine for what you want IME. The anemones will find a spot they like. Depending on the anemone species of course as some don;t like as much flow. What do you plan on keeping anemone wise?

Mmm bread is good :)

BTA'sa are found on the reef head and tolerate high flow, good choice :) Captive bred ones are easily come by, there are some in the DBTC program in fact :)

Bread is delicious! lol :O

Thanks for the info. I'm not quite ready yet, but I will look into the DBTC when I get to that point.

Thanks

Back