Jestersix

Foam Background - advice needed

Ok I won that little 6 gallon micro tank at the swap. I went out bought a skimmer and a 13" 24 Watt PC light. Now working on a eggcrate background that I filled with expansion foam and covered with sand, rock gravel to hide the blue background. The foam has cured and the epoxy resin is drying and it says it'll be dry in 1hr.

Question: can I add this background directly into the tank and start cycling? Or do I need to soak the background to let it leach chemicals out? Or does it not leach chemical into the water? I'm using the same stuff that lots of reefers use for DIY backgrounds.

I think that you can add it just fine, but hey, why take the chance. I would probably let it soak (probably in the tank) for a day or two in freshwater just for S&G. Then empty the water, fill with fresh DI and add salt/pump and you're good to go.

I don't know whether it will be an issue or not, but assuming the expansion foam dries to a non-toxic state, won't there be problems with buoyancy? The foam is a good insulator because of all the air pockets it creates, but there may be a problem with it staying down unless the weight of the rock and sand balances out the buoyancy of the foam.

This is what I used

https://www.hardwareworld.com/Exterior-Landscape-Foam-p38H1LD.aspx

Get this it actually had a "Fish Safe" icon on the back! Guess it is used for pond building.

just sunk them.. one floats the other sinks! Guess I'll need to silicone them in place. No biggy. I'll post picts as the micro gets assembled

Back