Our mission

Follow-Up on 58gallon Tank Crash

Well I set the 58g tank up.

I actually let it sit fallow in fresh water with no light for over a week. I drained it, scrubbed it down.

Wiped the back down due to salt spray and drips. I then proceeded to clean out the sump -eghhh that was nasty. I previously had a refugium setup, but never completely emptied it out - so later on the skimmer never sat level in this area.

Yanked the sump out completely and washed it down real well. Wowee! acrylic is really nice and shiny when it's clean inside and out.

I fixed the canopy so it wasn't so lop-sided (yeah, for those who recall the last tank tour and couldn't figure out if the tank was off kilter or the canopy was off). I trimmed the canopy sides down with a router so at least it's even now. :)

I filled the tank up with ro/di and added previously cooked rock and scrubbed down dried up rock which had too many icky things on it to mention.

In an effort to control monti-eating nudis I had to break apart a really big monti colony. Well apparently the monti's decided to the smaller frag pieces tasted much better. I have started to treat each frag and place them into this frag/quarentine tank if you will. Well so far so good.

Yep, pictures will follow tonight, so stay tuned....

Clean-up Sump - I might put chaeto in the empty area (to the right of the return pump)

DSCN1500.jpg

My ER skimmer is definitely pulling out nasties
DSCN1501.jpg

Quasi Full Tank Shot

DSCN1502.jpg

This is what monti eating nudibranchs can do to a digitata

DSCN1507.jpg

Eileen,
You should add a wrasse. My yellow coris went carpet surfing and then all of sunden I had monti nudis out break . I kept dipping and dipping . But then I added a christmas wrasse the nudis seem to disappear. I guess natural way to eradicate is good also.

Yeah, I'm trying to actually a nice healthy leopard wrasse hoping they will eat monti-eating nudis in the larger tank.

That digitata piece took the biggest hit, and is now just starting to color up a bit more polyp wise.

If you need any more digitata I have 3 different kinds, orange with orange polyps, purple with brown polyps & tan with "blue/white" polyps.

Thanks but no thanks Arnold.

I am so glad to be rid of that stuff. I am looking for xenia though believe it or not.

I actually have to add back a rock which has green star polyps and the not so better half of the notorious F.R.E.D (still really small toadstool from Mike) - or otherwise known as left-side fred since it usually sits on the left side of the tank.

Back