Cali Kid Corals

For those of you with Rimless tanks...

I'll give you 3.

1) evaporation
2) limited fish selection (jumpers..unless you want to net the top, and I won't)
3) light spill

Gomer said:
I'll give you 3.

1) evaporation
2) limited fish selection (jumpers..unless you want to net the top, and I won't)
3) light spill
+1
I created an acrylic jump guard and it gets bonked regularly. Even with the guard, it needs to be open for feeding and cleaning and I've had the big lineatus fairy wrasse shoot out of the tank and land 4 feet away trailing salt water with him. My front panel is made from opaque to help with the light spill. That alone need's to be considered unless you always view your tank from above the fixture. Otherwise, grab some Ray Bans before extended viewing....

I've managed to scratch the hell out of the rim of my tank already. I noticed it the other day. Not even sure how, but the exposed lip is all scratched up.

Other than that I love it.

Thanks all.

Tony: I agree with 2 and 3, but in regards to evaporation, wouldn't it be the same as a rimmed tank that doesn't use a lid? I've seen most tanks that have canopies not use glass/acrylic lids...

treylane said:
Having to buy expensive, good-looking light fixtures rather than being able to staple diy reflectors into the hood :)

This plus the need for additional thickness of the material used to make the tank.

rgonzalez said:
Thanks all.

Tony: I agree with 2 and 3, but in regards to evaporation, wouldn't it be the same as a rimmed tank that doesn't use a lid? I've seen most tanks that have canopies not use glass/acrylic lids...
sorry, I always associate rimless as open top and rimmed as closed, canopy top.

1) Added strength required to be rimless can be a visual issue.
Thicker sides, braces, etc.

2) Falling in. Really. Step-stool moved and I slipped. Fortunately no water yet. (Big tank)

All other negatives are more about uncovered/covered, light positioning, etc. And not a factor of rimless directly.

My lights will essentially be sealed against the rim, and have and acrylic protector, so when on, just like a completely covered tank.
And I will have nice oak trim down to water level, for light spillage.

I think I know what "light spill over" is, but are there pictures so I can make sure?

I just thought about falling into my tank and the face my GF would make if she saw it happen. It made me laugh :)

rgonzalez said:
I think I know what "light spill over" is, but are there pictures so I can make sure?

I just thought about falling into my tank and the face my GF would make if she saw it happen. It made me laugh :)
http://www.nanoreefblog.com/features/design/the-great-debate-is-it-a-rimless-or-a-braceless-reef-aquarium
that excess light that would normally be blocked by an enclosed canopy.

Also a wavebox would be risky because it causes fatigue on the corners of the glass and the weakest part of the corners are the silicon seals.

How is cleaning the inside glass of rimless by hand or with magnet and water spilling out? I can splash water out of my plexi with bracing, where it thins to one inch.

I have the water level about 3/4" from the top of my rimless and yes, it can splash out. I have to be more careful and slow when using the magnet cleaner for the top of the tank. I also have a towel above the magnet to absorb any spilt water. it's not a big deal but you have to get the technique down.

treylane said:
Having to buy expensive, good-looking light fixtures rather than being able to staple diy reflectors into the hood :)
+1
German manufactured Photon Plus suspended fixture: Two SE 250 w Mhs, 6 T5's, passive cooling 4 separate circuits=$1999.00

yardartist said:
How is cleaning the inside glass of rimless by hand or with magnet and water spilling out? I can splash water out of my plexi with bracing, where it thins to one inch.
It's like playing in the bath tub. No way to keep all that water in the tank during an aggressive cleaning. BTW, if you use a magnet, remember the glass is 1/2" thick. My personal choice is daily cleaning by hand with a 3x5 pad. I have an island reef structure and can nearly wipe the back wall without an extension.

Take away message: The beach towel is your friend.

Back