High Tide Aquatics

Found small crab

I checked out my tank first thing this morning and found this little guy. The only crabs I've put in my tank were two emeralds about four months ago. Does this look like a baby emerald? My assumption is they bred. One of the emeralds is much bigger than the other one now, they were the same size when i put them in the tank.

Attachments

• crab.JPG
    crab.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 329
Its possible the crab came as a hitchhiker.

There are a number of crabs this could be.

First off you sure its not a molt?

It could be some weird color variation of emerald crab. It could be an acropora crab(trapezia?) it could be a gorilla crab. Stone crab. Try googling those and see if they match up.

For me, the only crab I would let live in my tank is an Acropora Crab. Other okay/good crabs include: emerald crabs, anemone crabs, pom pom crabs, hermit crabs which aren't true crabs.

Any other unidentified crabs are potential coral eaters/coral destroyers. Good tip for hitch hikers. They either live with or live on (eat) whatever they came in

Look at Jruga's crab which moved all of his frags, ate his zoas, and his green star polyp. Not something you want in your tank. We also had another member here who bought a frogspawn colony and discovered a stone crab living inside the skeleton of the coral.

Anything else gets put into the freezer for relatively humane death and then the trash can.

Back