Our mission

FOWLR aggressive tank ideas

Hmm, Interesting different take on the CUC. Neat idea. But given my acrylic tank and zoas, I would be pretty nervous about Urchins and Mithrax.
I've had no issues with my mithrax crab or urchin with my zoas. Well minus the fact that if I don't glue down new zoa frags really well, I find them riding around on the urchin. He doesn't hurt them though. I just pull them off and glue them better :) The ruby red mithrax crab luckily has never shown any signs of picking at anything except hair algae. I do understand the concern about an urchin and acrylic though!

So far what im thinking is

Humu Picasso Triggerfish (10" max)
Clown Triggerfish (1'8" max)
harlequin tusk (10" max)
antennata lion fish (7" max)
Snow flake eel ( 2' max)

If I used the old school method (1" per gallon) that would be only 71" total. I was thinking it would be nice to get something not as large that could still live with these guys and not get eaten, any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe a Mystery Wrasse or Flame Hawkfish (I would have space to add more then one but would have to be careful about sizes

I'm piggy-backing on this thread because it's fascinating -- does anyone have experience with Scorpionfish?
What type of scorpionfish? I have experience with lionfish, which are scorpionfish, but I don't have experience with the other fish in the scorpionfish family. I believe the care is pretty similar for most of the scorpionfish though.

What type of scorpionfish? I have experience with lionfish, which are scorpionfish, but I don't have experience with the other fish in the scorpionfish family. I believe the care is pretty similar for most of the scorpionfish though.

I should have been more specific -- Rhinopias Scorpions. Although I'll sneak a couple of species of dwarf lions in as well if I go this route.

I do have to admit that the lack of a big CUC scares me a bit.

I should have been more specific -- Rhinopias Scorpions. Although I'll sneak a couple of species of dwarf lions in as well if I go this route.

I do have to admit that the lack of a big CUC scares me a bit.
Why is there a lack of a CUC? Lionfish are completely safe with snails, hermit crabs, urchins, serpent stargish, conchs...and many other things. Basically they're just not safe with shrimp in terms of CUC. I assume rhinopias are the same way.

harlequin tusk (10" max)
Snow flake eel ( 2' max)

If I used the old school method (1" per gallon) that would be only 71" total. I was thinking it would be nice to get something not as large that could still live with these guys and not get eaten, any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe a Mystery Wrasse or Flame Hawkfish (I would have space to add more then one but would have to be careful about sizes

Any input on these together?

Roc
The only concern I have with your list is that the triggers MAY find the tips of the lionfish's fins tempting.
Also, a large lionfish could eat a small eel.

As for the rhinopias, feeding can be a problem with more active tank mates so it's probably best to keep in a species specific tank.

well part of my idea this time is to come up with a finished list and then add accordingly, i.e I may add the eel 1st or with just one other baby or jev fish and then add based on level of aggression and max size.

Would that slove the part about the lion fish and the eel?

I guess it wouldnt fix the tiggers issue, maybe i will have to forget about the lion and go with another fish, whats a good addtion to what i already got ?

harlequin tusk (10" max)
Snow flake eel ( 2' max)

The Clown Trigger might be a big issue when it grows up.
They are supper aggressive. Read RC, lots of horror stories.
And it will be larger than the others. (Plus a bit large for the tank as well)
In particular, it may bully the Tusk, which is only semi-agressive.

Something to read up on and think about is how fish fight.
You are putting large aggressive fish in a relatively small tank.
They will battle, and the loser needs a place to go hide.
If the loser cannot get away, the battle may continue until one dies.

You are going to have to research every fish carefully.

I think the antennata lionfish, snowflake eel, and harlequin tusk are great choices that will do well together. I currently have an antennata lionfish with a snowflake eel without any issues. The antennata would have to be full grown and the eel would have to be super tiny for there to be any risk of the lionfish eating the eel. I'd just shoot for medium sized for both of those fish. I don't think you'd want to go too tiny if you're adding other aggressive fish. The antennata and eel won't be particularly aggressive in terms of fighting, so they're the ones that would be prone to get picked on if they're too tiny. A harlequin tusk is supposed to be only moderately aggressive and should be completely compatible with the eel and lionfish. Just don't get a tiny juvenile tusk that could get eaten by the lionfish. I'd go for a medium 4-5" tusk to start with.

The triggers are where I see there being more issues since they can be the most aggressive. I know someone on the forums that is doing a 260 gallon reef tank with a snowflake eel, a volitan lionfish, and some triggers and tangs. In terms of the triggers, he chose a blue throat and a niger because they are supposed to be a little bit less aggressive. From my understanding, the clown triggers and humu triggers get a bit larger and more aggressive. I think the clown trigger especially is a bad idea since Live Aquaria lists its minimum tank size as 300 gallons. Also, as Erin mentioned, there's definitely a risk that the triggers could eat the lionfish's fins. You definitely don't want to house a pufferfish with lionfish for that reason.

In terms of other suggestions, what about some tangs and large wrasses? Something like a Spanish Hog could be really pretty too!

I think the antennata lionfish, snowflake eel, and harlequin tusk are great choices that will do well together. I currently have an antennata lionfish with a snowflake eel without any issues. The antennata would have to be full grown and the eel would have to be super tiny for there to be any risk of the lionfish eating the eel. I'd just shoot for medium sized for both of those fish. I don't think you'd want to go too tiny if you're adding other aggressive fish. The antennata and eel won't be particularly aggressive in terms of fighting, so they're the ones that would be prone to get picked on if they're too tiny. A harlequin tusk is supposed to be only moderately aggressive and should be completely compatible with the eel and lionfish. Just don't get a tiny juvenile tusk that could get eaten by the lionfish. I'd go for a medium 4-5" tusk to start with.

The triggers are where I see there being more issues since they can be the most aggressive. I know someone on the forums that is doing a 260 gallon reef tank with a snowflake eel, a volitan lionfish, and some triggers and tangs. In terms of the triggers, he chose a blue throat and a niger because they are supposed to be a little bit less aggressive. From my understanding, the clown triggers and humu triggers get a bit larger and more aggressive. I think the clown trigger especially is a bad idea since Live Aquaria lists its minimum tank size as 300 gallons. Also, as Erin mentioned, there's definitely a risk that the triggers could eat the lionfish's fins. You definitely don't want to house a pufferfish with lionfish for that reason.

In terms of other suggestions, what about some tangs and large wrasses? Something like a Spanish Hog could be really pretty too!
Well the tangs get tortured by aggessive wrasses, (had this issue in my old tank and had to get the wrasse out, man that was hard)

I might look to dump the triggers (even though i ALWAYS WANTED THEM..:( ) and wrasses might be a good replacement.

in what order should I add fish if i stick with lion, husk and ell with some wrasses to round out the tank?

That's crazy that the tangs got that bullied by the wrasses! I thought tangs could usually hold their own, but then I have seen some really mean wrasses.

If you just do the Lionfish, tusk, eel, and wrasses, I'd say add the Lionfish and eel first. Lionfish are really not aggressive fish, so I'd let the Lionfish get settled first. I'm sure it would help for the eel to have time to establish a burrow before adding a bunch more aggressive fish.

That's crazy that the tangs got that bullied by the wrasses! I thought tangs could usually hold their own, but then I have seen some really mean wrasses.

If you just do the Lionfish, tusk, eel, and wrasses, I'd say add the Lionfish and eel first. Lionfish are really not aggressive fish, so I'd let the Lionfish get settled first. I'm sure it would help for the eel to have time to establish a burrow before adding a bunch more aggressive fish.

Yea this Lunar wrasse was a bad ass, he was like a shark they way he hunted (i actually fish i could get him back now) but he was relentless on the tangs, even the tough one.

I was going to use PVC to start a burrow, is that a good or bad idea?

Yea this Lunar wrasse was a bad ass, he was like a shark they way he hunted (i actually fish i could get him back now) but he was relentless on the tangs, even the tough one.

I was going to use PVC to start a burrow, is that a good or bad idea?
Most wrasses aren't too awful, but some of them can just be downright mean like that. I had a candy hogfish that just up and murdered several of my fish out of nowhere.

I know plenty of people do PVC burrows for eels, so I'm sure that would work. I didn't do one and my eel has done a great job of making himself an elaborate burrow system in the sand up under one of my rock structures. I honestly think it depends on your rock work. If the eel has plenty of places to get up under the rocks in the sand and to go through the rock work itself, then it probably won't need the PVC. However, if you don't have a lot of places in the rock for burrows, then the PVC would be great. I think the size of the eel will play a role too. A really big thick one probably won't be able to fit into the rocks as easily as my small one.

Back