Reef nutrition

Frag Packing Tips

The following content was transposed from our old forum by @tuberider :

I'm starting this thread to help people pack up their frags to survive the abuse of being chucked around during a swap environment. Feel free to add any tips or techniques that you use to ensure that your babies make the journey into a new environment. ;)

I generally use two different packing techniques, one is a pack with a plastic buffer, and one with a fixed placement that I use mostly with SPS.

Step 1

get yer crap together

crap.jpg

Step 2

with plastic buffer, loosely place frag in a chunk of plastic bag in container

gluedfrag.jpg

Step 3

fill with tank water

plasticinwater.jpg

Now on to the fixed placement technique -

Step 1

apply a dap of IC gel (or any super glue gel) to the bottom of the container (preferably wet)

glueblop.jpg

Step 2

place frag onto the blob of IC goo, make sure the frag plug, or under side of the frag are wet/moist

owater.jpg

Step 3

fill with tank water

gluedfraginwater.jpg

The plastic technique works the best for general fragging, if you're packing up something really small, or delicate the IC technique works real well as long as the recipient does not chuck the frag around or try doing inverted container tolerance experiments.

Also, I like to tape the lid down, and place a piece of tape over the label. Unlabeled frags and poorly packed frags will require you to repack and label your frags before you can start swapping, you might as well do it right at home to save the trouble at the swap, or the potential of being bumped into the final picking group because you are not ready.

Happy fragging :p

BTW, this is not the be all and end all, there are many ways to RTN an Acro (skin a cat) and I hope to hear some more ways of going about that Laughing out loud

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to contrast the above with how I've gotten frags at swaps and raffles over the last year+. I think one or two were packaged that way vs. all the others I've either gotten or seen, must be hundreds, that are just loose on a mount or not mounted at all.

If the frag was going to be shipped I think the extra protection makes sense. For a frag swap I would hope people are not tossing boxes of frags around like is common with FedEx, UPS, and even USPS.

Yeah, I always use deli containers, but I just put the plug loose into the deli container. I figure people aren't throwing the deli containers around or shaking them.

Back