Jestersix

Frag Swap labels - QR codes test.

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Hey guys, I'm going to be labeling some of my frags with QR codes on the containers. There will still be a label that describes what the coral is. But I wanted to have a direct link to a WYSIWYG picture. This is mostly for zoanthids that tend to not open up at swaps so you can see what exactly "Mikes OrGaNiC Cookie Monsters" look like if you don't have every Zoafad name memorized, or the other side of that... you don't know the names of corals and you have a "pink zoa" you're putting into the swap.

The idea was brought up by David last year, and while having only QR codes would be unfeasible I think having something you can see in an instant if you're curious what exactly "Pretty Pretty Princess Sparkle zoas" look like.

So I'm asking those with smartphones who are capable of scanning QR codes, if after you've picked a coral give it a shot to scan it just to see how useful it is (or not) and let me know your thoughts.

Also a little input to size of the photos I should directly link to? I know some phones now claim to have 1920x1080 resolution or some outrageous number, but ultimately you need to download a small enough picture in a hurry. So should images be in the 50kB range? 100kB? 1MB? I ask because I have no idea how fast phones typically download. Or if that 50kB photo will even be recognizable.

Cool idea! I would also be interested to see how well QR codes could work for swaps.

AFAIK there's no hard and fast rule for image size, given the broad range of smartphone specifications. Download speed is determined by the wireless radio capabilities, connection speed, CPU, and browser rendering. I would probably just make sure the shot is clear and sharp, and (regardless of photo format and pixel size) keep it under 250 KB. Chabot provides free guest wifi that is fairly snappy.

I like this idea! Being one of the few people without a huge data plan on my phone, I'd prefer the photos to be as small as they can while still clearly showing what the coral looks like. :)

i think this is a great idea, but how does this work?

assuming we don't know the name of the frags? if not, it'll just link right up to the pic right?

that's a better idea than me wanting to print out a pic... would save me some time and/or ink.

this is also assuming we have enough time to scan the code when it's our turn.

Here's an example of a frag label I'll make (just a bit prettier)
-------------------------
Coral
Purple palythoas - soft

Lighting
LED - moderately bright

Scan QR for WYSIWYG
l1lm.png

Grower
sfsuphysics
-------------------------------

Now unfortunately I don't have a smart phone, but I know most people probably do have them. If someone wants to scan what they see, to see if the picture pops up that'd be awesome.

this is also assuming we have enough time to scan the code when it's our turn.
True enough. And if there are a ton of corals with QR codes there is no way you're going to scan all of them. The idea is that if you see something that may sound interesting you scan and get a picture of a select few (assuming you have a decent connection), and if you like what you see great, if not pass it on. Also why I'm doing this more of a test than suggesting that everyone do this. I'll be one person out of many, so the percentage of corals with codes will be small, although judging from past events quite a few people still write out everything in pen so obviously they wouldn't do this. Also why I'm only asking people to do this if they have time, maybe even after they picked, even if they aren't interested just to get feedback into how workable it is.

My plan really is to do this for corals that are not "obvious", or perhaps have some part of them that makes them desirable not visible due to the stress of being thrown into a container of water i.e. palythoas/zoas that have a tendency to not open up. So for "Montipora digitata - Orange base, orange polyps" there's not going to be a code because even if the polyps retract it'll still look like an orange stick in the container, but the above purple palys, while you might have an idea of purple, you might not know what exactly they look like. I'm also leaning towards a WYSIWYG picture, rather than a picture of the mother colony but depending upon the frag I might change my mind.

I like this. All you smartphone users be scanning. Us Luddites be grabbing the corals.

Good plan, Mike. I think you've been discovered. :)

Geeeeeezzzzzzzz ........ok ok ....it was Instant for me as well but I took 5-10 seconds to find my phone and open the app. lol

that's the other part too. i didn't count that. if i was doing this at the swap, i'd probably have the app ready in some sort of quick-key fashion

Works great. It took a second or two to actually scan and then the photo popped up immediately. Can you post how to make the QR codes for those of us who might want to put them on our frags?

Works great. It took a second or two to actually scan and then the photo popped up immediately. Can you post how to make the QR codes for those of us who might want to put them on our frags?

Step 1: Upload your image to a place online. I use imageshack.us, make sure that you can get a usable URL from the picture. Do note that some places might have a time limit on how long a particular URL works, so if you have a URL with a ton of alphanumerical values after it with no actual <filename.jpg> or what not probably not going to work.

Step 2: Go to QRstuff.com. Past URL into box. Then right below it you should see a button to download, download the picture and save.

Step 3: Make the frag label. Haven't decided if I'm just going to print the QR code and then write the rest of the stuff, or make everything print out. Either way make sure you do not change the file format of the QR code, changing it to a jpg might distort the code with the compression scheme.

Step 4: Cover the label well with packing tape or what not Who knows what water on a printed label will do to the code, if the ink runs it might be unusable. I have a laser printer so the ink won't run but a wet label might distort the QR code shape, and in my experience it's really easy to get a wet label.

Last edited:
Back