Neptune Aquatics

Frag Swap questions form beginner

Just a few questions that I can't seem to find answer anywhere.
Should we bring a cooler? Is it necessary?
How do we label our frags? As in, do we simply marker the deli container? Sticky note? Or are there labels that will be given during the swap.

Bringing a cooler is always a good idea as most of these coral are likely going to be out of the tank for at least 5 hours. While hopefully the weather will be just perfect and you won't really need one to keep the coral from overheating/getting too cold, it's also a good way to carry all the coral you're likely to be bringing home. (I'd guess at least 4 frags/person). As for labeling, you can mark on the deli container or tape on a label. If using a sticky note, I'd supplement with tape to make sure it doesn't fall off during the swap.

Styrofoam coolers are recommended as frags are susceptible to their ambient temperatures while on the tables and the coolers will at least keep those temps from fluctuating too high or too low when frags are in them during transportation coming and going from the swap . Hope this helps.

Depending on how many people are picking throughout the entire rounds will determine what everyone takes home .
I for example only plan on picking from the bonus rounds and not the main swap rounds due to lack of open real estate.

Labeling

I usually use Scotch Tape and write on the tape.

Some people write on the container with a sharpie, some people print out labels.

Remember its gotta have at a minimum
1) username
2) coral name or description
3) what kind lighting used

If you want to be helpful add more information.

Example: for the dendro im bringing I will also write

"Non-photosynthetic, Requires feeding or it will die"

Last edited:
+1 on cooler simply due to the fact that it's been quite hot in this region recently, don't know how hot it will be on the day of the swap, or if the room (cafeteria?) is climate controlled, but the quicker they get in a cooler the better. And if you think your cooler is too small you could always bring some strips of plastic, and double up some of the frags in a single container (plastic is to keep them from irritating each other).

Back