Neptune Aquatics

Frag Tank Lighting

Eh.. looks like Chinese black box lighting. Hard to say how good it is unless you crack it open and see what they did to reduce the price such a drastic amount.

Will it grow coral, possibly, will it look like a Kesill output? eh....

For me the test to one of these lights is to see how many recommended ones there are that look identical.

And I know I've said something similar to you before... if you can't afford what you want want, then don't buy something that will now. This is an expensive hobby and there are absolutely ways to shave off dollars here and there, this light is one of them, and if you wanted this light then I'd say go for it, however you seem to have your mind fixated on Kessils, so why not wait until you can afford a Kessil? Why do you need a frag tank now? That's more expense, how many frags do you plan on sticking in there in the near future? Is putting a little frag rack inside your display tank not allowed?

thanks for the input! I have a small mag rack inside the DT, but for some reason I don't like the look of it. I also want to have a running QT for new additions, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to set it up. Not fancy--24x24 with a small head and HOB filter and a few marine pure balls that have been in my sump.

It's basically a black box with Built in timers.

There are only two real issues with black box units, first is if they are manufactured with bottom of the barrel parts they are more likely to catch fire (as with any cheap Chinese electronics). Second is color spectrum, you have to figure out what level to run each channel for optimal growth/color. Running both channels at the same level isn't a good mixture. Some have more red leds, some more green, some have infrared and some are just royal blue and cool white.

I used to run a black box on a frag tank and a coral qt tank and they did amazing. Blues were at 100% and whites never went over 30%.

i had a teachable moment this morning...was making saltwater and I use an RP with two different ball valves to mix the water and then send it to the DT. wasn't paying attention and plunged in the pump before checking the valves...I had left the one open that sends water to the DT...got it off quickly but didn't notice it sprayed a power strip. Ten minutes later I heard crackling and smelled something getting hot. It was the power strip. Lessons!

If you use existing rock, should be fine....other than an algae bloom
Eh, maybe... assuming he has rock to spare. Looking at his build thread his rock situation looks fairly barren, works fine for the tank, but doesn't leave a lot to swap over. I just would worry that you get a frag tank setup, fill it with frags from a swap then wondering why half of them died on you in the first couple days.

Back