Frag tank question...

Discussion in 'Other Reef Talk' started by xcaret, Feb 27, 2017.

1. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

For those of you who have frag tanks, your opinion on a 48x48x14 frag tank is much appreciated.
    There's a project I'm not-directly involved (or so I want to say)
    Some of you may have read the thread I've posted about a stand that can come apart to fit through two doors.
    So far the tank involved in that project has a serious flaw; a chip at the very bottom, as you face the tank, lower vertical left glass pane at the back. The seam is very thin, IMO barely holding on and might be too risky to leave it the way it is. Solution is to buy a new piece of glass 36.5x24 low-iron AKA Starfire polished edges since the whole tank (minus the back) is low iron and polished edges. I've suggested if that's the case, to take the whole tank apart and re-do all the seams (I've also suggested black silicone)

Now back to this thread... There's another tank, a "show" frag tank; humongous 48x48, black silicone; BTW is it silicon or silicone? This one I might just grab for myself (and use it as a bed for my cat or to raise quails since they are pricey meat) And yes, I would need help moving it...
    Lighting would not be a major issue since all rock-work would be concentrated in the middle so a single 250W MH with either a mini or large Lumenarc should take care of that; hey, I think I have enough MH bulbs for the next 15 years !!

CAM01531.jpg

CAM01533.jpg

2. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

It's silicone. Silicon is what computer chips are made from. As in Silicon Valley.

3. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

FYI

stand is 24x24x30.
    Steel, sanded and painted black. Made from hollow square steel and welded by an auto body shop. Not powder coated. Excellent+ condition. Have a buyer for it? Or a tank for me to put on top of it? :)

4. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

A tank for it?... I have a tank and a stand, how about that? Tank 24x24. Stand can take a 50G (20" high)... Unfinished project CAM01534.jpg

5. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

opinion on the frag tank, for a 48x48 x14 tank how think could the glass be? is it rimless? (only reason it would need to be any thicker than 3/8") I'd do standard float glass to save some money (and headaches getting it), and be done with it. I do have to ask though, why would you buy a 36.5" x 24" to replace any panel on that tank?

6. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

That piece of glass would be for the 36x36 cube; the one with the chip but seems is not going to happen. I still have to price the glass locally plus all the silicone that has to be purchased to put the tank together.

The frag tank is eurobraced, regular glass 3/8"; Leemar.

Anyone has some glass suction cups I could borrow? I could also use some help; tank is in SF, local move to a cluttered basement yet again.

7. euod

euod Supporting Member

I may be able to get the suctions cup from John again and help you move. When?

8. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Yeah, as long as I don't need them for work you can come get them. Also, I have a piece of 1/2" starphire glass you can have.

9. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

I have a pair as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Thanks I'll take the offers; still have to figure a date to get the tank. Will get back to you guys on logistics for the cups and I appreciate the glass piece.

11. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

I've considered setting it up in the garage. Would have to be glass AIO. Fish only or anemones

12. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

I'll keep my eyes open for a glass aio tank

13. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

It can be your tank away from home if you want. Can setup a camera for viewing ;)

xcaret likes this.