Frag the vote!!!

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by tuberider, Oct 6, 2010.

1. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

Good luck Bryan... were back at hospital baby having o2 levels n I have tbs though

2. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

Pm me your # if we get released I'm going to meeting

3. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Its about that time again folks.... who's stepping up to run our club? Fresh blood?

BAR doesn't run itself and everyone is a volunteer... if you want BAR to succeed, now is the time to put forth your energy and make it happen :)

4. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

How stupid of me, I started reading the whole thread without checking the dates. We do need a lot of people to step forward this time. Almost ALL positions are open, at least as far as I know.

5. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I don't think people understand just what a precarious position BAR is in right now. After YEARS of running the club, most the BOD simply can't commit the time and energy. Its also a drain to be one of a few that make it happen year after year after year. Come one folks, step up, BAR is what you make it.

Step up now, or consider BAR just a forum. Fragswaps, meetings, speakers, etc... gone....

I'm worried BAYMAC won't happen next year. If BAR becomes just a forum there is NO
    way BAYMAC will happen.

6. Joost_

Joost_ Guest

I'd like to nominate Bondolo since it appears that he has been very active helping out at swaps and such.
    I won't be able to make it this saturday, but I'd be up to the secretary position if nobody else steps up to the plate.

7. GDawson

GDawson Guest

I've already said to the powers that be that I'd run for an open post. But with so many open positions we need a lot more.....

@Joost_ - I've already talked to Bondolo and he has declined. This year he has too many commitments and felt he wouldn't be able to give 100%. He did say that he would join groups/committees to plan and organize for specific functions like a swap.

-Gregory

8. bondolo

bondolo Supporting Member

The meeting is not until October 8th. No reason to delay nominations though.

Thank you for the nomination Joost_, it's appreciated. :) I unfortunately won't be standing for the BOD (any role) this year. I will continue to volunteer as much as possible for events and am going to try to help with the web site if there's anything I can do there. Between my work commitments and another volunteer job I do (foster care for Guide Dogs for the Blind) I'm pretty stretched. If I took on BAR BOD something else important would have to suffer and I don't want to do that. It's been pretty clear that for the current BOD that they have faced similar issues and are choosing to focus on family and work to BAR's detriment. It is, however, the reasonable, responsible, mature thing to do even if it means BAR no longer benefits from their involvement. The current BOD has done a great job and as a relatively new member I've been very impressed with how well organized BAR is as a club. Perhaps, as Jeremy says, "It just runs itself." I would be very disappointed to see BAR fail for lack of leadership. Sadly, this year I can't be that guy.

I've made the suggestion a couple of times regarding more event organizing involvement by general members beyond day-of-event volunteering. Being committed to only a single event might make it easier for individuals to step up. I understand we're only going to be doing BayMAC and member swap as events in 2012--another club will be doing the regional swap. I know that I can probably manage to find 20-35 hours in the 1-2 months before at least one of these events. I would encourage the new BOD to get regular members more involved for specific activities beyond just day-of-event.

9. bondolo

Go GDawson! He's our man.

Gregory, I think you will be a great addition to the BOD in whatever capacity.

10. eldiablosrt8

eldiablosrt8 Sponsor

i would run biut i think this would be conflict of buisness sooooo i gracefully bow out. i wanted to run last time but i had our daughter during the last Meeting almost a year old now, crazy how time flys....

11. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I have some time and a great desire to see the club continue on. I think it is great how it is and would be happy to help out. Not sure what capacity I'd be best in, but definitely willing to help.
    I'd like to nominate Dave (houser) for any position he would be interested in having.
    Also, Mario got the presidents tank, maybe he should take his job next...lol!

12. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Oh man, I hope no one thought i was saying anything about the current BOD. I think they're doing great, and I more then understand every ones reasons :) I've done my couple years on the BOD while work was less hectic, but now I have more work then I can manage.

Yah I decided to rattle the cage a little early since the forum seemed a bit slow and this is a very important topic to me :) I need to start on BAYMAC now, speakers get booked up as do vendors. With Interzoo in Germany next year just a few weeks after BAYMAC, it's going to be hard not only to find larger vendors/exhibitors, but I plan on being at Interzoo next year :lol:

Kudos on the guide dogs for the blind. Randy Reed (one of my bosses) has raised and trained numerous guide dogs. A few years ago one of his dogs actually came back when it retired.

I'm rattlin the tree for FRESH BLOOD.

13. Thales

Thales Past President

Hey everyone,

In my humble founding opinion, the people stepping up are great. At the same time, please pick a position that you are willing to take on and let us all know. If everyone says they will do something, I worry the club will become lackluster - we need leadership!
    Thanks so much to the current BOD and to all those that are willing to lead in the future. One of my favorite moment at conferences is talking about BAR, and I would like that to continue.
    Thanks!

14. GDawson

GDawson Guest

I'll step up and run for Treasurer...Brian has already given all the stuff to me to operate in his stead for the next couple of meeting so I may as well continue with it.....don't let my past history of glue huffing deter you from voting for me (mmmmmm....boxes of glue! :) )

-Gregory

15. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I will second Greg for that position :)

16. bondolo

Nope, I don't think anyone had interpreted it as a criticism.

There was no better time than now to start the search. Thanks for getting the conversation rolling!

17. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Okay. Well let's just say I think I'd be best as a secretary, or events planning type. If anybody has advice for me about what they see me being good at or where help is needed feel free to let me know through this thread or a pm

18. robert4025

robert4025 Sponsor

I nominate Jeremy as a new club Prez! otherwise, can I nominate someone to twist his arms to do it?

19. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

Come on now, give Jeremy a break. Just keep him VP.
    Just kidding. Thank you for all your years of service, J (and everyone else).

20. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

I nominate Bookfish, get him in the tangles again :lol:

>runs away<