Fragging an Acro

Discussion in 'Propagation' started by nudibranch, May 4, 2011.

1. nudibranch

nudibranch Guest

I have an acro that has densely clustered branches and I was wondering if it is okay just to snip a branch off a branch with a pair of pliers or would that be too rough. I know I might be being a little overly cautious but I really like this coral and I do not want it to do die especially in such an avoidable way.

It looks in shape and clustering almost exactly like this.......
    [​IMG]

2. houser

houser Past President

Pliers = rough on a delicate little piece. Recommend something with finer blade like shears, bone cutters, electrical cutters, etc... Then you only mangle the flesh at the cut and not where the pliers touch.

3. nudibranch

nudibranch Guest

Thanks, would a dremel with a drill bit work?

4. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Sure. The thing is, you don't "cut" with the shears. You cut and twist which snaps them. IMO that is the best way. Actually cutting cause more damage and can shoot your frag across the room :)

5. houser

houser Past President

And only after the twist do you really get a look at what you get to mount!

6. h20player101

h20player101 Guest

And if you do it right(wrong), you can get multiple frags of the same coral!

7. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Or a handful of rubble and a nice bleeding wound :lol: been there, done that

8. tuberider

tuberider Guest

I recognize that coral and yes, it will fly across the room, some Acros do some don't, the famed austera does :D

9. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Thus the name "Infamous Flying Austera" :D

10. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

My morph was "dog hair & dust bunny Austera"

11. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

In summary, the best frag tool to use on that particular coral is a slingshot. :X

12. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

Just aim it at a rock in your tank to mount the frag :D

13. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

A real sharp shooter will set up a tube of super glue on the rim of the tank... with a glob of glue on the tip.... you see where this is going :lol:

14. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

15. nudibranch

nudibranch Guest

Would wire cutters work?

16. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Sure would. Just make sure there is no copper dust on it and give it a good cleaning afterwords so it doesn't rust on you.

You just need somethign that has a blunt edge and can be held firmly. heck I've used garden shears and kitchen shears at times :D

17. nudibranch

nudibranch Guest

Thanks, I am going to frag it today with the wire cutters.