got ethical husbandry?

Fragging Ricordias

patchin

Supporting Member
I want to frag a couple of rics from a rock in my nano tank. I'm hoping to do it inside the tank, but I don't want to mutilate the rics. The idea is to just slice underneath them? Right? I think the best thing is to dismantle the rock work and pull it out. Would it hurt to have Hydnophora out of water for a few minutes? It's on the same rock, I think.

I usually onlly frag mine when it has multiple mouths and I've never lost one yet. I use my dremel to slice the rock in half then cut with a clean razor blade. All outside the tank of course. I tried to frag an yuma with only one mouth but the piece I cut off wasn't attached well and managed to float off never to be seen again. I had some nice articles saved but I can't seem to find them now.

My ric propagates easily with residual foot bits. Right now it does it on it's own, but you can also make a little cut-off on the foot and it will form a new ric.

[quote author=patchin link=topic=4566.msg55525#msg55525 date=1221435159]
I want to frag a couple of rics from a rock in my nano tank. I'm hoping to do it inside the tank, but I don't want to mutilate the rics. The idea is to just slice underneath them? Right? I think the best thing is to dismantle the rock work and pull it out. Would it hurt to have Hydnophora out of water for a few minutes? It's on the same rock, I think.
[/quote]

No, it shouldn't hurt the hydno. If you are concerned it will, irritate it to make it expel most of the water out of it's tissue prior to removing it from water. A water filled LPS is nothing good out of water.

Back