Fragging Ricordias

Discussion in 'Propagation' started by patchin, Sep 14, 2008.

1. patchin

patchin Facilities / Event Coordinator

I want to frag a couple of rics from a rock in my nano tank. I'm hoping to do it inside the tank, but I don't want to mutilate the rics. The idea is to just slice underneath them? Right? I think the best thing is to dismantle the rock work and pull it out. Would it hurt to have Hydnophora out of water for a few minutes? It's on the same rock, I think.

2. LeviT

LeviT Guest

I usually onlly frag mine when it has multiple mouths and I've never lost one yet. I use my dremel to slice the rock in half then cut with a clean razor blade. All outside the tank of course. I tried to frag an yuma with only one mouth but the piece I cut off wasn't attached well and managed to float off never to be seen again. I had some nice articles saved but I can't seem to find them now.

3. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

My ric propagates easily with residual foot bits. Right now it does it on it's own, but you can also make a little cut-off on the foot and it will form a new ric.

4. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

[quote author=patchin link=topic=4566.msg55525#msg55525 date=1221435159]
    I want to frag a couple of rics from a rock in my nano tank. I'm hoping to do it inside the tank, but I don't want to mutilate the rics. The idea is to just slice underneath them? Right? I think the best thing is to dismantle the rock work and pull it out. Would it hurt to have Hydnophora out of water for a few minutes? It's on the same rock, I think.
    [/quote]

No, it shouldn't hurt the hydno. If you are concerned it will, irritate it to make it expel most of the water out of it's tissue prior to removing it from water. A water filled LPS is nothing good out of water.