Reef nutrition

fragging this at the meeting

[quote author=saltwatersig link=topic=4802.msg58365#msg58365 date=1223674542]
please note that unlike my competition (tuberider) .....i have provided a photo so you can see what your getting :D
[/quote]

i got a chance to see this on thursday. its a very nice piece

lemme grab some popcorn, heavy weight match between dbtc'rs :D

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=4802.msg58530#msg58530 date=1223751294]
all my stuff and my alk is now where it needs to be. thanks! :)
[/quote]
205.9 ppm kH converts to 11.54 dkH which is high. You want it between 8 and 10 so your alk is not where it needs to be.

Yes I was at the meeting. I got five pieces of coral! I didn't think I would obtain that many pieces.

Oh, and I'll go tomorrow and get the stuff to lower alk and I'll get magnesium and the mag test kit.

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=4802.msg58539#msg58539 date=1223772249]
Yes I was at the meeting. I got five pieces of coral! I didn't think I would obtain that many pieces.

Oh, and I'll go tomorrow and get the stuff to lower alk and I'll get magnesium and the mag test kit.
[/quote]

Don't worry about lowering alk, it will drop on its own, be patient. AFA mag test kits the sea-chem is the only one I've found to be worth a salt, it is difficult to run a test, but accurate. What salt brand are you using? If it is one that is high in Mag already you may not need to test right now, and can have someone test it for you at the next meeting and run you through the basics of using the PITA sea-chem test. If you want to do that PM me before the meeting and I'll bring my kit.

Good luck with your coral!!! ;D

If you don't have a mag test kit, you can't be sure it is lack of mag. One thing that was said during the test or 2part demo was (something like): Don't be hasty to jump to conclusions. If it isn't mag and mag is fine, then jacking the levels up may do more harm than good.

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=4802.msg58562#msg58562 date=1223780905]
My torch died do to lack of mag so I still will get it.
[/quote]

What salt brand do you use?

Many brands are already very high in Mag.

You guys haven't realized that he always meations that his levels are fine then posts what they are and they are high or low and then he says he will fix it the next day. Not trying to be an ass but it doesn't seem like he ever really takes anyones advice................

I bet you it is mag because I've never added any or tested for it. I just got my calcium to 420 so that may help. But it probably is mag.

euphyllia , it was nice to meet you and your dad at the meeting.....hopefully you'll come to more meetings and get a chance to meet more of us members, it was kinda tuff to sit and speak with members since there was alot of stuff going on at this meeting.

remember that when working with the amount of water in your set up (12-14 gallons) , it does'nt take much at all to make parameters swing one way or another. you will have to find a routine in which you can add/dose things without having big swings, in other words don't try to correct all parameters in one shot. gradually get the numbers where you want them and try to keep them as stable as possible, your fish and corals will be happier that way. if you have any questions feel free to post here or pm me (or any other member ) , we are here to help out anyway we can. take care

sergio

I've always been told in a tank as small as ours euphyllia that regular weekly water changes should be all we need to keep all of our levels in check. Take it with a grain of salt but it hasn't failed me thus far.

I have a 24 gl and I was doing the same thing. Weekly water changes of about 5 gallons and it was working for me as well. By adding more and more corals I began to see some parts of certain corals dying out. Then I checked my calcium levels and they were very low. The more corals you have in your tank the faster your minerals will be taken from the water requiring you to start dosing.

DSC04298.JPG

DSC04302.JPG

Update!!!

Love this frag, it was doing pretty 'iffy right after the meeting but has since grown about 4-5 new heads. In the first pic you can see 1 large and 2 small new heads and in the second pic another 2-3 tiny new heads on the left side.

Another update:

Here are some recent pictures of this beauty;

IMG_5647.JPG

IMG_5998.JPG

IMG_6011.JPG

IMG_6012.JPG

And if you missed it, HD time lapse video of it eating pellets:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeHwrlSn-GY

Another update:

Still doing well, new picture taken a few days ago. Lots of babies showing up.

IMG_6150.JPG

It's come a long way from when I got it:

DSC04044.JPG

Back