Reef nutrition

Fragging zoanthids

I have some zoas that I want to put back in DBTC and some to add on. I tried fragging 2 little polyps for practice but didnt make it. main colony is currently overtaking the plug it came on. I used a scalpel to cut the 2 heads and glued it to a new plug. it never opened up and the 2 polyps are now completly gone after 5-6 weeks. What am i doing wrong and whats the best way to frag Zoanthids?

How are you cutting the polyps? There's probably a few common ways to do it.
1) You either want to break the plug so polyps are still attached to the base.
2) You cut around the mat and also scrape under the mat to keep the polyps in tact with the mat.

What I did was cut the mat with 2 heads and then scrape it off the plug. Like i said, it was small heads to practice on...may have damaged it by scraping. I'll give another try but ill break the plug this time and just slice the mat leaving it attached to the plug. Thanks for the feedback!

make sure the glue isnt getting on the heads, the way I do it is i put the glue on the plug before i start fragging. when i put the zoa ontop of it, it isn't as wet anymore so it doesnt run up the side of the zoa.

I apply the glue onto the frag and then dip in the water for a few seconds, it putts a nice film over the glue making it less wet. Then I use some tweezers to apply the polyps, this helps to keep the glue away from the head. Just "keep the glue off the heads" just the Sfork said and you should have no problem.

Back