Our mission

Frankenstein Power Strip - NOT for the faint of heart.

Dyngoe

Supporting Member
OK, so I just did a project with a DJ power panel that inspired me slightly. And, as most of you probably have figured out I love DIY projects so I decided to make my own “custom” power strip for my FW top-off and SW mix/change area. Here’s a quick synopsis and pictures:

The power strip does the following:
1. Can refill the main tank with EITHER FW or SW depending on a flip of the switch. When I do a water change I just have the float switch turn on the SW refill pump. Makes it a more "constant" process. Plus, it is an easy on/off.
2. Contains FW top-off options for both the main tank AND the mix tank (if I let it sit and evaporate)
3. Allows me to turn on/off the mix pump, heater and fill pump in the SW mix tank.
4. Stops the heater from running, regardless of switch, if the float switch in the mix tank is open. (I caught myself making ill smelling steam once and decided I needed a fail safe to make sure the heater is off. I hear the pumps but not the heater so they are not on the safety.)
5. It has a built in Deans plug (for those who RC it’s the old 4 prong version) that allows me to have a single plug for both sets of float switches. (One for the main tank and one for the SW mix tank)
6. I ran the 12V adapter back into the case so the main tank relay was internal. The SW mix tank is a 110V float switch.

OK, so that’s my Frankenstein. It’s not pretty, but compared with having two relay boxes and no safety or switch control I think it’s a good option. Also, considering all of the parts came off old projects (one switch donated by my dad that is older than I am) I’ll take the results. It’s not an automated system but it does help.

Before the new mod it just had two switches I put in to control the mixing pump and mixing heater:
608_20_02_09_2_37_18.JPG

New Power Strip after a stop at Balco:
608_20_02_09_2_37_38.jpg

It's cool if you have spare part laying around.. It would cost you more to buy all the parts than buy the real DJ unit ;D ..

Oh, for a power strip with just switched a DJ panel is a far better deal. At best you could "possibly" make one of these for ~$40 ($4/switchx8 and $8 for an 8 plug strip). But, when life gives you limes...make Mojitos.

Wow, great mind boggling project. Well, for me anyway. So this is what you were talking about the other day-Impressive!

BTW, are you and Beau done with "his" project?

Shhhhhh Sherri. We don't want any corporate espionage. This project is actually not my BIG idea, it was just something that came to me around 11:30 last night. (And ran until 3:30 this morning) The project I eluded to is getting started this weekend when my brother brings me some scrap parts. As for Beau, we'll probably be unveiling his project in two weeks. Let's just leave it at that for now, but stay tuned, it turned out pretty well.

Back