Free Live Sand

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by pixelpixi, Oct 17, 2009.

1. pixelpixi

pixelpixi Guest

I tore apart my tank today to re-aquascape and decided to replace the sand bed while I was at it. I'm using some of the old sand to seed the new sandbed, but I have about 2.5 gallons left that I'm not using. It's dirty but full of critters and great for seeding a new sandbed with. It's aragonite, mostly 1-2mm. I sifted it through a colander to make sure I wasn't throwing any snails out, so big chunks, rocks, etc have been removed.

Pick up in Richmond or at the next bar meeting. I'll throw it out in a couple days if nobody claims it.

2. glee

glee Guest

hi erin,

if you still have it, i would like to get it from you but im not sure when i'll be in your area. do you ever come in to sf?

i would rinse it and dry it out before using, so i dont mind if it is dead sand.

thanks, garvin

3. pixelpixi

pixelpixi Guest

I don't make it into the city all that often. I can bring it to the next club meeting or you can pick it up at my office in Emeryville if you want.

Be careful adding too much to your tank though. From what I understand old dirty sand, even rinsed, can hold a lot of excess nutrients. The main reason why I'm replacing it is because I'm concerned about that.

4. glee

glee Guest

im just looking to put about 1" on the bottom of my 6 gallon nano.

i think i'll pass on it since i really dont need anymore nutrients in my seemingly nutrient rich tank.

thanks for the info!
    g

5. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

If you haven't thrown it away I can take it at the next meeting.

6. pixelpixi

pixelpixi Guest

I've still got it and will bring it.

7. sfsuphysics

Erin, is it in a salt bucket or something? You want to exchange buckets? Unless you don't want the bucket either :D

8. pixelpixi

pixelpixi Guest

You can have the bucket. I've got extras.

9. sfsuphysics

Damn... and here I was hoping I'd still break even with my bucket count as well ;)