Freshwater (gasp) Betta Tank

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by kinetic, Aug 9, 2017.

1. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

Tank: AquaMaxx 2.6g Low Iron Tank

I've been out of the hobby for awhile. It was a downward spiral, with an Elos 170 and spending a lot on a lot of premium gear. Overall, everything was dying. This $10k system did far worse than my $200 total AIO 20 gallon tank. So I had quit.

I can't stop thinking about putting another tank together. My next one will come soon, but in the meantime, I put together a pretty minimal tank for a Betta fish. I might make it into a planted tank soon.

I've been running a tiny HOB filter for a couple months now, but I'm waiting on some glass lily pipes and a canister filter to pretty it all up before taking photos of it. I've struggled finding a good canister filter that's small enough, so I'm planning on putting a flow valve and cranking that thing way back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ashalye and iCon like this.
  2. JVU

JVU Supporting Member

Nice photography!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

Thanks! Mostly just good white balance editing to get it all right, and a quick edit on the Priime app.

4. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Supporting Member

Wow...that looks like a Polaroid One step.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

It is! I need to get better with using it though. I've been mostly shooting instant film with a Lomography camera: https://microsites.lomography.com/lomo-instant-wide-camera/ which has a little control of focus and all that.

6. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Welcome back, Art!

Take a look at the Eden 501 for a smaller canister that works with 9mm glass lily pipes. If you want a bit more flow, then take a look at the Eheim 2011 and run additional tubing on it to keep the flow manageable. Otherwise, in tank wise, take a look at the Eheim 2008 or the Eheim Skim350.

7. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

Thanks Eric!

I got a ZooMed 10 being delivered tomorrow, seems to be the same thing as the Eden 501 in terms of specs and even looks. Hope it works! I got a pair of 10mm glass lily pipes. I couldn't find anything smaller. Do you have any recommendations where to find smaller ones? I guess 1mm isn't that huge of a difference.

8. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

It might work then depending on the tube wall thickness of the filter. You can find the glass lily pipes on eBay. I think I got mine from AquaticMagic, but there's quite a few more vendors now than before when I did a cursory search.

That 1mm won't matter. Just use some hot water on the tubing if needed.

9. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Welcome back!

kinetic likes this.
  10. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

Good news: ZooMed 10 works great. I ordered a (way too expensive) 3/8" valve (that's probably rated for a ton of pressure, but it was the only one I could find at 3/8") and stuck that on the return to ease up on the flow. The lily pipe in/outlet look amazing. Maybe I should just use lily pipes for returns on a reef tank? They probably make really large diameter ones... Not sure how go from hard PVC -> glass though.

11. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

Latest photo. For some reason my tank water is kind of green and not that clear. I wonder if the new plants are creating a bit of a bacteria bloom all of a sudden.

My betta over the last few months lost a lot of color in the bottom fins. I've tested water quality, and it's pretty much perfect. I might need to vary up his food.

Anyway, latest photo with lights off during the day!

New lily pipes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More FTS with light off:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ashburn2k and Ashalye like this.
  12. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Supporting Member

Hey wondering how this tank is doing? Did the cloudy issue go away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kinetic likes this.
  13. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

Oh yah! The tank is 100% clear now after adding the small 3watt UV. Took about a week and it’s been great ever since.

I’m running the UV 24/7 now without a problem.

I also recently added a heater to see if that’ll help. I never heated a small Beta tank, but figured it wouldn’t hurt. Temp stays at 76-77* these days. Betta actually seems a bit more active.

ashburn2k likes this.
  14. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Supporting Member

How’s the experiment with UV off so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

That t=would look awesome with a school of Neon Tetras too.

16. kinetic

kinetic Webmaster

No cloudiness in the betta tank without the UV on for a few days.

ashburn2k likes this.