Fritz salt

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry' started by Edgar Sandoval, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

I just made a batch last week. I added buffer (Seachem reef builder) I just happened to have an old bottle of this on my fish supply shelf. :D I haven't tested the water yet. But, tomorrow it will be exactly 1 week since i mixed it. I try to do my water changes on Thursday or Friday. I'll test it then. Hopefully, the @fishdoctor is right about just adding buffer to keep the alk stable.

fishdoctor and yellojello like this.
  2. What's the verdict on Fritz Salt? should I switch from Reef Crystals?

3. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

I use it and I like the results compare to when I used reef crystals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DEATH BY SNU SNU likes this.
  4. what benefits have you seen from the switch?

5. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

I switched back to IORC. Alkalinity with Fritz was never stable for me after making 3 batches. It would drop down to 5 or 6 dkh within 48 hours.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  6. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Definitely good polyp extension compare to rc for me. Ther bucket is cleaner that's it. I don't dose so can't day about parameters. I run my calrx at 20ml/min and my kalk reactor handles the rest

7. Newjack

After a week with added buffer, Alk is holding steady, in fact, i might have added too much. After 7 days, alk is reading 9.5dkh

8. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Right on

9. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Curious if anyone has had rodi water sit and or bubbled it for a while before mixing?

10. yellojello

yellojello Supporting Member

I broke my arm so haven't been doing much maintenance, but I just tested this batch of water, which has been sitting for almost a month, and it only dropped to 7.0 dkh. I'll do more of IO ratio next time, maybe 50/50. Anyways, the buffer solution seems good too, I just don't have any on hand. Overall, Fritz has a buffering issue which I'm not sure how easy it is to resolve on their end.

11. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Looks like they coming out with something new.

12. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

So their box is now red instead of blue?

Really makes you wonder though if this is some new formula and they were claiming that their old stuff was great, then how great was it really?

13. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

The only issue was the alkalinity dropping... and that’s a big issue.

14. Newjack

it’s only a BIG issue if you monitor your tanks alk.
    :eek:

15. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

That’s true. Who does that?

16. Quality control was a big issue too. They had a number of bad batches that did a number on some tanks.

17. euod

euod Supporting Member

Used only this salt on a large system for over a year now without dosing and the parameters hold. The parameters on the mixing station are steady for long term, as well.

18. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

I have no issues using this salt either.

19. yellojello

yellojello Supporting Member

Well the red one has higher alkalinity 10-12dkh, which they state gives more growth for SPS.

I wonder if the red solves the alk drop during storage issue. Actually, if it drops from 10-12dkh to 8-9 dkh and holds steady there, that would actually work out lol.

I think there is a whole other discussion about alkalinity and SPS. Typically higher alk increases calcification, but if you run low nutrients, you may get burnt tips from the sps not building the tissue fast enough.

20. grizfyrfyter

grizfyrfyter Reef Geek 3D Printed

I think BRS is trying to test that theory now.