Fritz salt

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry' started by Edgar Sandoval, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Sooooo, are they assuming people don't add mag? Isn't it supposed to be 3:1 with ca? Or did I just make that up?

2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Honestly I haven't read the directions for salinity (what I use), but like you often just add x gallons to my 105 gal mixing/storage container to fill it back up then add the corrrsponding amount of salt. Seems to work fine.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    yellojello likes this.
  3. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

Ditto I usually have 5-10g left over, fill RODI to 40g, then add salt to mix

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

4. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

Same batch, now about 2 weeks after mixing. I'm still gonna stick w fritz, but just FYI. Does this happen with other salt mixes? Those using iorc, have you checked soon after mixing and then a few weeks later?[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

Confirmed with Red Sea pro test

6. RandyC

RandyC Guest

Just tested a 5-6 day old batch of IORC that is stored at 78F with a pump on 24/7. I also mix old saltwater mix with new batch (i.e. throw ro/di in with existing saltwater then add salt mix). I do always have a brown sludge caked up on my brute after a couple of mixes. I usually make 15-17 gallons per batch (so partial bag).

This is what I got.
    1.025 (Milwaukee)
    Alk: 6.8 dKh (Hanna)
    Ca: 420-430 (Salifert)
    Mg: 1260-1290 (Salifert)

Unfortunately, I don't know what the params were just after mixing. Will monitor next batch and will start with a clean and empty bucket.

7. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

That is fairly low alk numbers for RC.

8. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I just measured my tank first and it read 9.2 dKh. Then I measured my SW reservoir. It's about 1/2 full so it was mixed several weeks ago but has had a pump in it 24/7. It read only 6.2 dKh. I guess it's no wonder I've been needing to dose. Kind of makes me curious now what the Ca and Mg are too.

9. Edgar Sandoval

Edgar Sandoval Supporting Member

Do all salts do this or just fritz?

10. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

I think that's the question we've been trying to get consensus on. I used to use both IO and RC but I never tested batches and never stored batches. I always mixed them and used them immediately.

11. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

I can test my bucket of IO when I get back since I just opened up a new bucket.

Edgar Sandoval likes this.
  12. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

It would be good to get a test within 24hrs of being mixed and again like a week later.

13. Edgar Sandoval

Edgar Sandoval Supporting Member

I made 15 gallons on Thursday morning and it's at 6dkh already

14. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Is there any sort of white material on the inside of your mixing vessel or on the pump you're using? Seems odd that it would drop that much that fast. Hell assuming you didn't store it, what's that say about what would happen if you toss it in the tank? Would you also get get alkalinity to drop? (or was it that low to start with?)

15. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

New bucket mixed.
    upload_2017-6-1_13-25-37.png

Initial alk reading = 12. High, but not unexpected for IO. I'll test again in 24 hours and then next week to see where we end up at.

16. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Where did you find a white trash can?

17. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Online they sell brutes in white

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

19. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

20. scuzy